SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Log Shipping Hardware needs

Log Shipping Hardware needs

Author
nick harris-294131
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (101 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (101 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (101 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (101 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (101 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (101 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (101 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (101 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
I am making an assumption based on a small bit of research on the subject. My goal is to set up log shipping not necessarily for failover but in the case of a localized disaster (say a fire in the server room) that my data is somewhere safe. At this point in time we are not requiring 99% uptime. I should not need a beefy piece of hardware equal to my production server because there are no active transactions occurring. I should be able to get away with a smaller server, correct?

Thank you for taking the time to read my post and answer.
Big Data Man
Big Data Man
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)

Hi,

You use whatever size server you require, but please ensure you have ample storage space on both servers and a reliable network connection between the servers for log shipping.

In addition, make sure you have a solid backup plan based on your required Recovery Time and Recovery Point Objectives.

Thanks,
Phillip Cox
Sugesh Kumar
Sugesh Kumar
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (5.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.3K reputation)

Also if your LS is used in DR planning see to that its able to handle the load until you get back the primary server back.

Cheers,
Sugeshkumar Rajendran
SQL Server MVP
http://sugeshkr.blogspot.com
Gethyn Ellis
Gethyn Ellis
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)

Nick,

We use logshipping for similar purposes, i.e. as an extra backup and also we use for some reporting needs.

Our secondary server is not the same spec as the primary box but it will have to accomadate your production database in terms of size and future growth. Also if you plan on using it in DR terms the secondary server will need to handle at some of your production load.

Gethyn Ellisgethynellis.com
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.