SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

move all indexes to a secondary file group

move all indexes to a secondary file group

Author
MVDBA
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Comments posted to this topic are about the item move all indexes to a secondary file group

MVDBA
timothyawiseman
timothyawiseman
UDP Broadcaster
UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)

I really like the script, but it does not maintain the unique portion of indexes which makes it hard to use in some cases.

---
Timothy A Wiseman
SQL Blog: http://timothyawiseman.wordpress.com/
keppro
keppro
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)

Thanks a lot to the author!
One problem with the script: it doesn't recognize indexes with included fields. Does anybody know what system table(s) contain this information? Better yet, is there any kind of API for Management Studio's scripting?
timothyawiseman
timothyawiseman
UDP Broadcaster
UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)

keppro (8/30/2008)
Thanks a lot to the author!
One problem with the script: it doesn't recognize indexes with included fields. Does anybody know what system table(s) contain this information? Better yet, is there any kind of API for Management Studio's scripting?

It is in sys.index_columns, with the included columns marked by a 1 in the is_included column.

---
Timothy A Wiseman
SQL Blog: http://timothyawiseman.wordpress.com/
hydbadrose
hydbadrose
SSC-Addicted
SSC-Addicted (456 reputation)SSC-Addicted (456 reputation)SSC-Addicted (456 reputation)SSC-Addicted (456 reputation)SSC-Addicted (456 reputation)SSC-Addicted (456 reputation)SSC-Addicted (456 reputation)SSC-Addicted (456 reputation)

I loved the script. I wish the author or some cold post the reverse process like moving non-clustered indexes from secondary to primary with clustered indexes.
SQL2005-982522
SQL2005-982522
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)

Got an error about foreign key. Any idea?

Msg 3723, Level 16, State 6, Line 1
An explicit DROP INDEX is not allowed on index 'xxxxxxxxxxxxxx'. It is being used for FOREIGN KEY constraint enforcement.
repent_kog_is_near
repent_kog_is_near
SSC Eights!
SSC Eights! (966 reputation)SSC Eights! (966 reputation)SSC Eights! (966 reputation)SSC Eights! (966 reputation)SSC Eights! (966 reputation)SSC Eights! (966 reputation)SSC Eights! (966 reputation)SSC Eights! (966 reputation)

What is the logic behind keeping Non-Clustered with Primary and Clustered with Secondary?
Ryan McCauley
Ryan McCauley
SSC Veteran
SSC Veteran (215 reputation)SSC Veteran (215 reputation)SSC Veteran (215 reputation)SSC Veteran (215 reputation)SSC Veteran (215 reputation)SSC Veteran (215 reputation)SSC Veteran (215 reputation)SSC Veteran (215 reputation)

I've updated this script to do a few additional things, like

- Properly re-create unique indexes
- Handle Included columns
- Do "online" index moves w/error handling - creates new index, drops old, then renames
- Uses existing fill factor if the source index explicitly defines it

I've posted the script at my blog - I'm interested if anybody else has feedback or something they'd like to see added.

http://www.trycatchfinally.net/post/2010/02/08/Migrate-database-indexes-to-a-new-file-group.aspx

Ryan
AK1516
AK1516
SSC Veteran
SSC Veteran (273 reputation)SSC Veteran (273 reputation)SSC Veteran (273 reputation)SSC Veteran (273 reputation)SSC Veteran (273 reputation)SSC Veteran (273 reputation)SSC Veteran (273 reputation)SSC Veteran (273 reputation)

is this link working ?????????
Ryan McCauley
Ryan McCauley
SSC Veteran
SSC Veteran (215 reputation)SSC Veteran (215 reputation)SSC Veteran (215 reputation)SSC Veteran (215 reputation)SSC Veteran (215 reputation)SSC Veteran (215 reputation)SSC Veteran (215 reputation)SSC Veteran (215 reputation)

I've fixed the redirection on my blog, so you can view it now. I must have changed the layout at some point and not set up this forwarding page properly.

Sorry for the confusion.

Ryan
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.