SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

The Pros and Cons of Terabyte Phones

The Pros and Cons of Terabyte Phones

Author
Steve Jones
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (651K reputation)SSC Guru (651K reputation)SSC Guru (651K reputation)SSC Guru (651K reputation)SSC Guru (651K reputation)SSC Guru (651K reputation)SSC Guru (651K reputation)SSC Guru (651K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Comments posted to this topic are about the item The Pros and Cons of Terabyte Phones

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest
Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
My Blog: www.voiceofthedba.com
Eric M Russell
Eric M Russell
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (117K reputation)SSC Guru (117K reputation)SSC Guru (117K reputation)SSC Guru (117K reputation)SSC Guru (117K reputation)SSC Guru (117K reputation)SSC Guru (117K reputation)SSC Guru (117K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
... I don't know of any mobile to PC infections yet, but I do know there are lots of smart people out there. It's just a matter of time before someone starts to try and exploit the capabilities of modern mobile devices, especially those with large storage capacities...

One plausible scenario, where an employee's mobile device would unknowingly be used to infect or breach the corporate network, would be something like a file explorer or synching app, something with a trojan that activates special programming when it detects the user has connected to an intranet.

The following examples are not exactly what I've described above, but it shows how even popular and trusted apps can betray our trust.
https://www.techrepublic.com/article/major-vulnerability-found-in-android-es-file-explorer-app/
https://www.technadu.com/adware-doctor-mac-app-store-spyware/40916/

"The universe is complicated and for the most part beyond your control, but your life is only as complicated as you choose it to be."
jay-h
jay-h
SSCoach
SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)

Don't see much practical value.

So you can store 400,000 pictures on a phone. Why? Are you really going to be perusing thousands of pictures on a tiny 3x5 screen???

And if you need access all kinds of stuff it's probably available from your cloud account.

-- FORTRAN manual for Xerox Computers --
Eric M Russell
Eric M Russell
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (117K reputation)SSC Guru (117K reputation)SSC Guru (117K reputation)SSC Guru (117K reputation)SSC Guru (117K reputation)SSC Guru (117K reputation)SSC Guru (117K reputation)SSC Guru (117K reputation)

There are some applications (for example if you're a journalist, documentary film maker, or security guard and need to stream body-cam video to your cell phone), where 1 TB of local storage would be essential.

"The universe is complicated and for the most part beyond your control, but your life is only as complicated as you choose it to be."
jay-h
jay-h
SSCoach
SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)

Eric M Russell - Monday, February 4, 2019 9:59 AM
There are some applications (for example if you're a journalist, documentary film maker, or security guard and need to stream body-cam video to your cell phone), where 1 TB of local storage would be essential.

I don't think documentary film makers or security guards would be typically relying on a cellphone (and the number of them is a very tiny fraction of the phone market)

1 TB will store about 7500 hours of 1080p, that's most of a year, 24 hr a day. Is someone realistically going to store that much LOCALLY where it can be lost stolen or damaged?

It's even ridiculous overkill even for applications like that.

[Professional photographers often carry standalone drives to download their shots, a RAW image from a Nikon can get pretty large, but the sure don't use a cellphone for that]

-- FORTRAN manual for Xerox Computers --
Eric M Russell
Eric M Russell
SSC Guru

jay-h - Monday, February 4, 2019 11:47 AM
Eric M Russell - Monday, February 4, 2019 9:59 AM

I don't think documentary film makers or security guards would be typically relying on a cellphone (and the number of them is a very tiny fraction of the phone market)

1 TB will store about 7500 hours of 1080p, that's most of a year, 24 hr a day. Is someone realistically going to store that much LOCALLY where it can be lost stolen or damaged?

It's even ridiculous overkill even for applications like that.

[Professional photographers often carry standalone drives to download their shots, a RAW image from a Nikon can get pretty large, but the sure don't use a cellphone for that]

Are you sure about the estimated number of video hours that a 1 TB disk can hold?
I was thinking that one hour of compressed 1080p video would be about 3 GB for a total of 341 hours.

Steve Jones
Steve Jones
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (651K reputation)SSC Guru (651K reputation)SSC Guru (651K reputation)SSC Guru (651K reputation)SSC Guru (651K reputation)SSC Guru (651K reputation)SSC Guru (651K reputation)SSC Guru (651K reputation)

There are certainly uses, and plenty of people keep a decent level of video or images on phones.

I shot 30-40GB yesterday for a volleyball match and might easily shoot 120GB across a weekend tournament. If I don't get time to move all that video off, I can burn 200GB in a month.

Your use and perspective is yours, but plenty of people would use hundreds of GB.

Ross McMicken
Ross McMicken
SSCarpal Tunnel
SSCarpal Tunnel (4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4K reputation)

If there is concern about data loss from personal devices connecting to company PC's, set a group policy that disallows connecting mass storage via USB and any device via Bluetooth.
Eric M Russell
Eric M Russell
SSC Guru

If you have a need to record hours of video, many Android phones have a microSD slot, and for iPhones there are thumbdrives with an Apple Lightning connector. Actually, a TB of removable storage has additional advantages.

Steve Jones
Steve Jones
SSC Guru

Outside storage has advantages, and plenty of disadvantages. Loss, forgetting to keep it, security issues of plugging, probably more.

It's not good or bad. It's just a choice, and glad that I have it. Just got a new phone with 64GB, but it does have the SD slot, so I added 128GB. Hoping that ensures I don't run out for the foreseeable future, but there was a time when I thought 32GB, then 64GB was plenty.

Just like 640k used to be fine.

Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.