SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Upgrade to 2014 or 2016

Upgrade to 2014 or 2016

Author
hurricaneDBA
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Dear DBAs
I hope you guys are doing great
My company is planning on upgrading all 2008 R2 database servers to either 2014 or 2016
I read somewhere that 2014 wasnt recommended due to some instability but i couldnt find it again online
We want to move to 2016 but some of the applications we are running dont support it yet so for those that dont support 2016 then shall we upgrade to 2012 instead of 2014 or 2014 is stable enough to utilize?

please advise
have a great day
Hurricane
GilaMonster
GilaMonster
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (895K reputation)SSC Guru (895K reputation)SSC Guru (895K reputation)SSC Guru (895K reputation)SSC Guru (895K reputation)SSC Guru (895K reputation)SSC Guru (895K reputation)SSC Guru (895K reputation)

I recommend upgrading to SQL 2017. No reason to upgrade to something almost 2 years old, and 14 has nothing to recommend it against the alternatives (not unstable, it's perfectly stable, just old)

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

hurricaneDBA
hurricaneDBA
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)

Dear Gail
We have a number of applications which dont support 2016 so i cant upgrade to 2017.
So which version would be better to go to? 2012 or 2014?
We have more installations on 2012 so wouldnt it be better to stick with 2012 and when 2016 is support do all at once?

thanks
Kal
GilaMonster
GilaMonster
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (895K reputation)SSC Guru (895K reputation)SSC Guru (895K reputation)SSC Guru (895K reputation)SSC Guru (895K reputation)SSC Guru (895K reputation)SSC Guru (895K reputation)SSC Guru (895K reputation)

SQL 2012 is out of support and has been for over a year. 2014 will be out of support next year. Upgrading to either of them at this point in time is a bad idea, and there are many compelling features in 2016/2016 (Query Store!)

I recommend that you speak to those vendors about getting their apps certified on 2017 (or see if they're happy with them running on 2017 in an older compat level), and upgrade to 2017.

Gail Shaw
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

kevin.obrien 66193
kevin.obrien 66193
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)

GilaMonster - Tuesday, March 6, 2018 5:13 AM
SQL 2012 is out of support and has been for over a year. 2014 will be out of support next year. Upgrading to either of them at this point in time is a bad idea, and there are many compelling features in 2016/2016 (Query Store!)

I recommend that you speak to those vendors about getting their apps certified on 2017 (or see if they're happy with them running on 2017 in an older compat level), and upgrade to 2017.

The Extended Support Date for SQL Server 2012 SP4 is 2022... https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/lifecycle/search?alpha=sql%20server%202012

Same date for SQL 2014 SP2
GilaMonster
GilaMonster
SSC Guru

kevin.obrien 66193 - Wednesday, March 7, 2018 1:54 AM
GilaMonster - Tuesday, March 6, 2018 5:13 AM

The Extended Support Date for SQL Server 2012 SP4 is 2022... https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/lifecycle/search?alpha=sql%20server%202012

Same date for SQL 2014 SP2

If you want to be pedantic...

SQL 2012 is out of mainstream support (so if you want support you have to pay for it, no non-security patches will be available, and you have to have an agreement to get this). SQL 2014 will be out of mainstream support next year (so if you want support after that you'll have to pay for it, etc)

Gail Shaw

kevin.obrien 66193
kevin.obrien 66193
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)

GilaMonster - Wednesday, March 7, 2018 2:56 AM

If you want to be pedantic...

SQL 2012 is out of mainstream support (so if you want support you have to pay for it, no non-security patches will be available, and you have to have an agreement to get this). SQL 2014 will be out of mainstream support next year (so if you want support after that you'll have to pay for it, etc)

Absolutely. Just to be sure hurricaneDBA is aware of this. Thanks.

hurricaneDBA
hurricaneDBA
Hall of Fame

Dear Kevin
Thanks for the information and yes I’m aware of extended support being chargeable. I’m preparing a recommendation document to send to all vendors to push them to use 2017 ASAP!!

Thanks everyone
Have a great week

Kal
webrunner
webrunner
One Orange Chip
One Orange Chip (26K reputation)One Orange Chip (26K reputation)One Orange Chip (26K reputation)One Orange Chip (26K reputation)One Orange Chip (26K reputation)One Orange Chip (26K reputation)One Orange Chip (26K reputation)One Orange Chip (26K reputation)

Hello hurricaneDBA,

Whichever version you decide on, I highly recommend reviewing and adapting the checklist at the link below. I found it extremely helpful.

Checklist for upgrading to a new version of SQL Server
By Cindy Gross
https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/cindygross/2009/10/28/checklist-for-upgrading-to-a-new-version-of-sql-server/

Good luck,
webrunner

-------------------
A SQL query walks into a bar and sees two tables. He walks up to them and says Can I join you?
Ref.: http://tkyte.blogspot.com/2009/02/sql-joke.html
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.