SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

SSL Impact on Replication

SSL Impact on Replication

Author
kDBAjan
SSC Eights!
SSC Eights! (832 reputation)SSC Eights! (832 reputation)SSC Eights! (832 reputation)SSC Eights! (832 reputation)SSC Eights! (832 reputation)SSC Eights! (832 reputation)SSC Eights! (832 reputation)SSC Eights! (832 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Ok. I've been searching and cannot find a precise answer to this question. I have replication setup between our data warehouse (DW) (SQL 2016) server and the source production database (DB) (SQL 2014). Now we want to have PowerBI (PBI) access the data from the DW, but want to be sure the data is encrypted across the wire. If I setup the SSL certificates on our DW, will this impact the pre-existing replication that is in place?

DB -> DW needs to not be impacted
DW access for the Gateway for PBI needs to have an SSL cert to encrypt the data in transit across the wire.

I hope this makes sense, if not it explains why I can't find information on this when I try to word my search keywords.

I'm working towards a test environment but don't have it yet, but this needs doing sooner than that will be ready.

Thanks in advance
KDBAjan
Subramaniam Chandrasekar
Subramaniam Chandrasekar
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)

kDBAjan - Tuesday, January 30, 2018 4:31 PM
Ok. I've been searching and cannot find a precise answer to this question. I have replication setup between our data warehouse (DW) (SQL 2016) server and the source production database (DB) (SQL 2014). Now we want to have PowerBI (PBI) access the data from the DW, but want to be sure the data is encrypted across the wire. If I setup the SSL certificates on our DW, will this impact the pre-existing replication that is in place?

DB -> DW needs to not be impacted
DW access for the Gateway for PBI needs to have an SSL cert to encrypt the data in transit across the wire.

I hope this makes sense, if not it explains why I can't find information on this when I try to word my search keywords.

I'm working towards a test environment but don't have it yet, but this needs doing sooner than that will be ready.

Thanks in advance
KDBAjan

I've been heard about this query while interviewed by Microsoft for MSBI support engg. The problem when you use SSL cert to encrypt the data, the performance of your existing DW setup will be degraded. WinkWinkWink

kDBAjan
kDBAjan
SSC Eights!
SSC Eights! (832 reputation)SSC Eights! (832 reputation)SSC Eights! (832 reputation)SSC Eights! (832 reputation)SSC Eights! (832 reputation)SSC Eights! (832 reputation)SSC Eights! (832 reputation)SSC Eights! (832 reputation)

Thanks for the reply. So degraded is one thing, but will the replication be broken is the other part of the question. Smile

* Update *
I thought I'd clicked the "Post reply" button days ago.
Alexander Zhang
Alexander Zhang
Say Hey Kid
Say Hey Kid (699 reputation)Say Hey Kid (699 reputation)Say Hey Kid (699 reputation)Say Hey Kid (699 reputation)Say Hey Kid (699 reputation)Say Hey Kid (699 reputation)Say Hey Kid (699 reputation)Say Hey Kid (699 reputation)

Replication should be OK.

GASQL.com - Focus on Database and Cloud
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.