SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Get Index Scan Count

Get Index Scan Count

Author
Arsh
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (5.1K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.1K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.1K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.1K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.1K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.1K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.1K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.1K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Get Index Scan Count
Sue_H
Sue_H
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (72K reputation)SSC Guru (72K reputation)SSC Guru (72K reputation)SSC Guru (72K reputation)SSC Guru (72K reputation)SSC Guru (72K reputation)SSC Guru (72K reputation)SSC Guru (72K reputation)

One problem with the script is that it is hard coded to use db_id 70 when using this:
sys.dm_db_index_physical_stats (70, NULL, NULL, NULL, NULL) AS p

Maybe change that to Default, null or 0 instead of 70

Sue

Arsh
Arsh
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (5.1K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.1K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.1K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.1K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.1K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.1K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.1K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.1K reputation)

Sue_H - Monday, January 8, 2018 3:02 PM

One problem with the script is that it is hard coded to use db_id 70 when using this:

Sue

Oh thanks for pointing that out Sue. Not sure if I can change it now.

GilaMonster
GilaMonster
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (902K reputation)SSC Guru (902K reputation)SSC Guru (902K reputation)SSC Guru (902K reputation)SSC Guru (902K reputation)SSC Guru (902K reputation)SSC Guru (902K reputation)SSC Guru (902K reputation)

You should mention in that script that it's index scans since the last time the database or SQL Server were restarted. Not over all time.

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Arsh
Arsh
SSCertifiable

Thanks Gail. Actually I had put that in brackets. I think I lost it when re-editing for some other words, and then didn't proof-read; Did this in wee hours of the morning before dawn.bad habit .
GilaMonster
GilaMonster
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (902K reputation)SSC Guru (902K reputation)SSC Guru (902K reputation)SSC Guru (902K reputation)SSC Guru (902K reputation)SSC Guru (902K reputation)SSC Guru (902K reputation)SSC Guru (902K reputation)

Sue

DB_ID() would probably be more efficient, since dm_db_index_usage_stats is scoped to the current DB.

Gail Shaw
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

Arsh
Arsh
SSCertifiable

Yes Gail. Sue had pointed this too. This is the first script I posted and also no idea how can edit it now. Can u help ?
GilaMonster
GilaMonster
SSC Guru

I'm not a site moderator.
And I know Sue pointed it out, that's why my post was a reply to Sue

Gail Shaw

Sue_H
Sue_H
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (72K reputation)SSC Guru (72K reputation)SSC Guru (72K reputation)SSC Guru (72K reputation)SSC Guru (72K reputation)SSC Guru (72K reputation)SSC Guru (72K reputation)SSC Guru (72K reputation)

GilaMonster - Tuesday, January 9, 2018 1:30 AM

Sue

DB_ID() would probably be more efficient, since dm_db_index_usage_stats is scoped to the current DB.

I referenced this: sys.dm_db_index_physical_stats (70, NULL, NULL, NULL, NULL)
With dm_db_index_physical_stats, specifying default, null or 0 uses the current database.

Sue

GilaMonster
GilaMonster
SSC Guru

Sue_H - Tuesday, January 9, 2018 6:44 AM
With dm_db_index_physical_stats, specifying default, null or 0 uses the current database.

NULL, 0 or DEFAULT returns data for all databases on the instance.
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/relational-databases/system-dynamic-management-views/sys-dm-db-index-physical-stats-transact-sql

Gail Shaw

Sue_H
Sue_H
SSC Guru

GilaMonster - Tuesday, January 9, 2018 7:05 AM

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/relational-databases/system-dynamic-management-views/sys-dm-db-index-physical-stats-transact-sql

I should have qualified - current database in that script. But it's just the join later that will limit that - as you previously mentioned.
Sorry didn't know why you referenced that at first or how its more efficient but now I get what you were saying - thanks.

Sue

Arsh
Arsh
SSCertifiable

Just checked it. Have mentioned on the headline 'Script to get the index scan count and Average Fragmentation(since last restart)' . But yes it should've been in other place as well. Thanks.

GilaMonster
GilaMonster
SSC Guru

Sue_H - Tuesday, January 9, 2018 7:20 AM

I should have qualified - current database in that script. But it's just the join later that will limit that - as you previously mentioned.
Sorry didn't know why you referenced that at first or how its more efficient but now I get what you were saying - thanks.

Sue

Sorry, should have been clearer in the initial comment.

Gail Shaw

Sue_H
Sue_H
SSC Guru

GilaMonster - Tuesday, January 9, 2018 7:34 AM
Sue_H - Tuesday, January 9, 2018 7:20 AM

Sue

Sorry, should have been clearer in the initial comment.

Not really....duh on me. But I'm in the states, it's early and the coffee is too weak. Brain just needed to be nudged.

manik_anu
manik_anu
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)

Thanks for your query. May i know margin of each column? e.g: What is the margin of Fragmentation of each index? if exists what will happen? How to resolve this?

Manik
You cannot get to the top by sitting on your bottom.
francesco.mantovani
francesco.mantovani
SSC-Addicted
SSC-Addicted (419 reputation)SSC-Addicted (419 reputation)SSC-Addicted (419 reputation)SSC-Addicted (419 reputation)SSC-Addicted (419 reputation)SSC-Addicted (419 reputation)SSC-Addicted (419 reputation)SSC-Addicted (419 reputation)

The query always returns me an error,

I try with
USE master
USE DBNAME
USE HelloWorld

(I have a database called HelloWorld) :

It always returns me
Msg 2521, Level 16, State 40, Line 3 Could not find database ID 70.

Like there was no database
Sue_H
Sue_H
SSC Guru

francesco.mantovani - Thursday, January 11, 2018 1:02 PM
The query always returns me an error,

I try with
USE master
USE DBNAME
USE HelloWorld

(I have a database called HelloWorld) :

It always returns me
Msg 2521, Level 16, State 40, Line 3 Could not find database ID 70.

Like there was no database

That's the error I mentioned in an earlier post - if you look at the script, the database id is hard coded in dm_db_index_physical_stats. Replace 70 with DB_ID()

Sue

Arsh
Arsh
SSCertifiable

My apologies ..I tried to edit it but not finding an option anywhere. please replace 70 with ur DB id or NULL or 0 to get the results for all the DB 's . Thank u
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.