SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Making Choices

Making Choices

Author
Steve Jones
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (543K reputation)SSC Guru (543K reputation)SSC Guru (543K reputation)SSC Guru (543K reputation)SSC Guru (543K reputation)SSC Guru (543K reputation)SSC Guru (543K reputation)SSC Guru (543K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Making Choices

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest
Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
My Blog: www.voiceofthedba.com
Jeff Mlakar
Jeff Mlakar
SSC Eights!
SSC Eights! (928 reputation)SSC Eights! (928 reputation)SSC Eights! (928 reputation)SSC Eights! (928 reputation)SSC Eights! (928 reputation)SSC Eights! (928 reputation)SSC Eights! (928 reputation)SSC Eights! (928 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
This is a challenging balance act. In my younger days I didn't understand the necessity of politics and using soft skills to position myself where I wanted to be. Initially not being able to say no resulted in being steamrolled and then after time becoming resentful. I travel more now and it is not glamorous like I used to think - it is work and hard on the body and relationships. Having the strength to both make that disciplined commitment and also still perform high is deserving of respect.
jay-h
jay-h
SSChampion
SSChampion (13K reputation)SSChampion (13K reputation)SSChampion (13K reputation)SSChampion (13K reputation)SSChampion (13K reputation)SSChampion (13K reputation)SSChampion (13K reputation)SSChampion (13K reputation)

Not a fan of work travel at all (and in most cases, teleconferencing is just as good with a lot less stress). It had some good points, got to inexpensively bring my wife to Paris a couple of times, but in general it's more trouble than it's worth.

-- FORTRAN manual for Xerox Computers --
robert.sterbal 56890
robert.sterbal 56890
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (7.9K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.9K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.9K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.9K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.9K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.9K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.9K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.9K reputation)

Maybe I'll get you to make some timeless webinars after all Smile

Much of the travel I see is for the benefit of the speakers rather than the only way the material can be delivered.

In any case, you wrote about you decision extremely well, and I'll be saving the link to this piece.
Cal Lewis
Cal Lewis
SSC-Addicted
SSC-Addicted (462 reputation)SSC-Addicted (462 reputation)SSC-Addicted (462 reputation)SSC-Addicted (462 reputation)SSC-Addicted (462 reputation)SSC-Addicted (462 reputation)SSC-Addicted (462 reputation)SSC-Addicted (462 reputation)

To me travel for work (no longer an option since I retired) or vacation was great some years ago. Now I'm inclined to avoid a travel vacation although I do look forward to almost any destination in the country or overseas, the days at that destination are book-ended by the now dreaded "travel days". They seem to get worse each time we travel, is that just me or is the actual traveling less enjoyable?

qbrt
qbrt
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)

Making the right choice when the decision is difficult is what makes us boys seem more like adults. Don't forget, these days, there's always the interwebs to connect with the rest of us. Just have a HUUUGE screen at the events to display those funky shirts!
Miles Neale
Miles Neale
SSChampion
SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)

There are quality decisions a man makes concerning such things and you choice is well thought out and appropriate. I also had to rethink travel three or four years back and made a decision much like yours. I have presented topics at various meetings and have had fun doing it, BTW it was nothing as significant as what you have done but it was well attended and lots of questions followed. But what I really need to say is this, I do not miss it. I see now that it was valuable then but over time things changed as did I and my job. As such it worked for me, and it will most likely work for you if you make it work.

Not all gray hairs are Dinosaurs!
Steve Jones
Steve Jones
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (543K reputation)SSC Guru (543K reputation)SSC Guru (543K reputation)SSC Guru (543K reputation)SSC Guru (543K reputation)SSC Guru (543K reputation)SSC Guru (543K reputation)SSC Guru (543K reputation)

crlewis42 - Friday, December 15, 2017 8:25 AM
To me travel for work (no longer an option since I retired) or vacation was great some years ago. Now I'm inclined to avoid a travel vacation although I do look forward to almost any destination in the country or overseas, the days at that destination are book-ended by the now dreaded "travel days". They seem to get worse each time we travel, is that just me or is the actual traveling less enjoyable?

https://blog.ted.com/travel-tips-from-pico-iyer/?__twitter_impression=true

Steve Jones
Steve Jones
SSC Guru

Well, I'm done for event travel for the forseeable future. Had a lovely week in Athens and only one trip to the office in Feb coming. No event trips scheduled in the first four months of the year, so looking forward to the break.

Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.