SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Multiple Migration migraines!

Multiple Migration migraines!

Author
JaybeeSQL
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
HI all,

We're using Azure within a 2012 FCI AG, single replica, and will be moving to 2016 multi-replica over multiple subnets.

We have plans in place for thorough benchmarking of existing workloads and testing using Replay. The environment is 24/7 so minimum cutover needed.

I realise this is a big project but If anyone has a checklist or Best Practise guide, or recommendations for 3rd party tools (I plan to use some of the Ozar scripts for stress-testing) or any words of wisdom that'd be grand.
Sue_H
Sue_H
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (62K reputation)SSC Guru (62K reputation)SSC Guru (62K reputation)SSC Guru (62K reputation)SSC Guru (62K reputation)SSC Guru (62K reputation)SSC Guru (62K reputation)SSC Guru (62K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
JaybeeSQL - Tuesday, November 7, 2017 3:48 PM
HI all,

We're using Azure within a 2012 FCI AG, single replica, and will be moving to 2016 multi-replica over multiple subnets.

We have plans in place for thorough benchmarking of existing workloads and testing using Replay. The environment is 24/7 so minimum cutover needed.

I realise this is a big project but If anyone has a checklist or Best Practise guide, or recommendations for 3rd party tools (I plan to use some of the Ozar scripts for stress-testing) or any words of wisdom that'd be grand.

Do you drink alcohol? That might help.
There are actually quite a few "checklist" type of things for migrations. I'd go through a bunch of them as all of it will give you an idea of things to consider, they often have a few differences and that can help you find things that could trip you up. Just search on sql server migration checklist. Here are a few to get you started:
The Migration Checklist
SQL Server Migration Plan
SQL Server Database Migration Checklist

You might also want to take a look at the Upgrade Advisor, now called Data Migration Assistant.
Overview of Data Migration Assistant

Sue

Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.