SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Final Thoughts

Final Thoughts

Author
Steve Jones
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (222K reputation)SSC Guru (222K reputation)SSC Guru (222K reputation)SSC Guru (222K reputation)SSC Guru (222K reputation)SSC Guru (222K reputation)SSC Guru (222K reputation)SSC Guru (222K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Final Thoughts

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest
Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
My Blog: www.voiceofthedba.com
Stefan LG
Stefan LG
SSC Eights!
SSC Eights! (847 reputation)SSC Eights! (847 reputation)SSC Eights! (847 reputation)SSC Eights! (847 reputation)SSC Eights! (847 reputation)SSC Eights! (847 reputation)SSC Eights! (847 reputation)SSC Eights! (847 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
I am not familiar with Mr Mossberg's work (or maybe I have read something before but did not note the publisher).
But I will definitely look into it now!
Rod
Rod
SSChampion
SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Good article. So many thoughts occur to me. I've never heard of Walt Mossberg. Some times I feel so out of it. Thank you for introducing him to me.

This article dovetails so well with a similar article I read this weekend in the September 2017 issue of MSDN Magazine, Don't Get Me Started - When Software Sucks. That article is actually written by the daughter (Annabelle Platt) of the regular column author David Platt. Annabelle, a 17 year old going through highschool, describing the miserable state of affairs of some software that is supposed to help today's high schoolers. The software she describes is for her math class. She mentions struggling with the software which is inordinately picky about how data is entered for ordered pairs. I've linked to it so you can read it for yourself, but the point is that instead of helping the user learn math, its actually more of an exercise in learning the vagarities of the software. And that is just wrong.

As a software developer, this article by you Steve and Annabelle's article really put me to shame. But its not just because I'm guilty of writing such software, but also because sometimes, at least in my experience, writing an application with poor UI/UX is required. There are times where I have to do it and no amount of trying to make it more user friendly or accommodating to digital natives, is allowed. It's hard on the users.

Kindest Regards,Rod
Connect with me on LinkedIn.
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.