SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Window Functions for Row Number

Window Functions for Row Number

Author
Jeff Atherton
SSC Eights!
SSC Eights! (970 reputation)SSC Eights! (970 reputation)SSC Eights! (970 reputation)SSC Eights! (970 reputation)SSC Eights! (970 reputation)SSC Eights! (970 reputation)SSC Eights! (970 reputation)SSC Eights! (970 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Window Functions for Row Number
Stewart "Arturius" Campbell
Stewart "Arturius" Campbell
SSCrazy Eights
SSCrazy Eights (8.9K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.9K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.9K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.9K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.9K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.9K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.9K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.9K reputation)

Nice easy question, thanks Jeff

However, there appears to be an inaccuracy in the answer, viz:
if a PARTITION BY clause is used there is no comma between the PARTITION BY and OVER clause
i believe should read:
if a PARTITION BY clause is used there is no comma between the PARTITION BY and ORDER BY clauses

Igor Micev
Igor Micev
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (5.9K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.9K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.9K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.9K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.9K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.9K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.9K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.9K reputation)

Stewart "Arturius" Campbell - Thursday, April 20, 2017 11:10 PM

if a PARTITION BY clause is used there is no comma between the PARTITION BY and OVER clause
i believe should read:
if a PARTITION BY clause is used there is no comma between the PARTITION BY and ORDER BY clauses

From the BOL, both of these are correct

SELECT
ROW_NUMBER() OVER(PARTITION BY recovery_model_desc ORDER BY name ASC) AS Row#,
name, recovery_model_desc
FROM sys.databases WHERE database_id < 5;

SELECT
ROW_NUMBER() OVER( ORDER BY name ASC) AS Row#,

The answer of the QotD should be corrected.

Igor Micev,
SQL Server developer at Seavus
My blog: www.igormicev.com
GilaMonster
GilaMonster
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (87K reputation)SSC Guru (87K reputation)SSC Guru (87K reputation)SSC Guru (87K reputation)SSC Guru (87K reputation)SSC Guru (87K reputation)SSC Guru (87K reputation)SSC Guru (87K reputation)

Igor Micev - Friday, April 21, 2017 1:59 AM

i believe should read:

SELECT

SELECT

The QoD is correct as it stands.
ROW_NUMBER() OVER(PARTITION BY recovery_model_desc ORDER BY name ASC) AS Row# is syntatically valid, but was not one of the answers offered. The answer that was offered with both partition by and order by in had a comma somewhere that it does not belong.

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Neil Burton
Neil Burton
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)

Igor Micev - Friday, April 21, 2017 1:59 AM

i believe should read:

SELECT

SELECT

You're right in what you say Igor but if you look very carefully there's a comma between the PARTITION BY and the ORDER BY in one of the incorrect answers. As soon as you try to run the incorrect option it throws an error at you. It nearly caught me out because at an under-caffeinated first glance they both appeared correct.

On two occasions I have been asked, "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" ... I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
—Charles Babbage, Passages from the Life of a Philosopher

How to post a question to get the most help
GilaMonster
GilaMonster
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (87K reputation)SSC Guru (87K reputation)SSC Guru (87K reputation)SSC Guru (87K reputation)SSC Guru (87K reputation)SSC Guru (87K reputation)SSC Guru (87K reputation)SSC Guru (87K reputation)

Neil Burton - Friday, April 21, 2017 2:17 AM

You're right in what you say Igor but if you look very carefully there's a comma between the PARTITION BY and the ORDER BY in one of the incorrect answers. As soon as you try to run the incorrect option it throws an error at you. It nearly caught me out because at an under-caffeinated first glance they both appeared correct.

I spotted it, because it's a type of syntax error I make quite often. For some reason when writing window functions, I tend to put a comma in the OVER clause if I'm not paying attention.

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Ed Wagner
Ed Wagner
SSCoach
SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)

GilaMonster - Friday, April 21, 2017 3:08 AM

I spotted it, because it's a type of syntax error I make quite often. For some reason when writing window functions, I tend to put a comma in the OVER clause if I'm not paying attention.

Nice and simple question to end the week. The comma jumped out at me because I've done in more times than I'd like to admit. I can't blame intellisence for it either. Wink

Tally Tables - Performance Personified
String Splitting with True Performance
Best practices on how to ask questions
sestell1
sestell1
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)

Nice to know I'm not the only one that seems to instinctively add a comma for some reason. Smile

Jeff Atherton
Jeff Atherton
SSC Eights!
SSC Eights! (970 reputation)SSC Eights! (970 reputation)SSC Eights! (970 reputation)SSC Eights! (970 reputation)SSC Eights! (970 reputation)SSC Eights! (970 reputation)SSC Eights! (970 reputation)SSC Eights! (970 reputation)

i believe should read:

Nice catch Stewart. Looks like once the question is posted I can no longer edit. So maybe some super admin on this site can update that.
Jeff Atherton
Jeff Atherton
SSC Eights!

Same here. I always want to add a comma in the windows functions and then with Nested CTEs I always seem to forget the comma.
Revenant
Revenant
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (7.4K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.4K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.4K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.4K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.4K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.4K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.4K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.4K reputation)

Jeff Atherton - Friday, April 21, 2017 7:08 AM

Same here. I always want to add a comma in the windows functions and then with Nested CTEs I always seem to forget the comma.

Me, too. Thanks for the question, Jeff!
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.