SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Access Violation Exception when starting SSMS 2012

Access Violation Exception when starting SSMS 2012

Author
amy.holzinger
SSC Veteran
SSC Veteran (222 reputation)SSC Veteran (222 reputation)SSC Veteran (222 reputation)SSC Veteran (222 reputation)SSC Veteran (222 reputation)SSC Veteran (222 reputation)SSC Veteran (222 reputation)SSC Veteran (222 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
I installed just SSMS. I installed it on my PC so that I could connect to our SQL Server 2012 instance which is on a separate server. When I installed SQL Server 2012 on the *server*, it also installed SSMS on the server, and that is working fine. I tried to install SSMS on my PC from the server ISO, but the server ISO is 64-bit and my PC is 32-bit, so no go.

I checked out the link you provided from my PC, just in case, but it says: There are no SQL Server instances or shared features that can be updated on this computer.
Sue_H
Sue_H
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)

amy.holzinger (1/11/2017)
I installed just SSMS. I installed it on my PC so that I could connect to our SQL Server 2012 instance which is on a separate server. When I installed SQL Server 2012 on the *server*, it also installed SSMS on the server, and that is working fine. I tried to install SSMS on my PC from the server ISO, but the server ISO is 64-bit and my PC is 32-bit, so no go.

I checked out the link you provided from my PC, just in case, but it says: There are no SQL Server instances or shared features that can be updated on this computer.

Well, I have no idea what SSMS version you have from where or what. But typically in your scenario, people will install SQL Server Express. Or just install the latest version of SSMS as the installer works on 64 and 32 bit. You can use the current version of SSMS against a 2012 instance.
The latest version of SSMS is available here:
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/mt238290.aspx

If you really want SSMS 2012 then you can get the 32 bit Express Edition here:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=43351

Sue

amy.holzinger
amy.holzinger
SSC Veteran
SSC Veteran (222 reputation)SSC Veteran (222 reputation)SSC Veteran (222 reputation)SSC Veteran (222 reputation)SSC Veteran (222 reputation)SSC Veteran (222 reputation)SSC Veteran (222 reputation)SSC Veteran (222 reputation)

Hi Sue,

Thanks for all your suggestions. I got the SSMS Express edition from the link you provided, uninstalled what I had, and installed the Express one. No luck. Same error, same place. I'm thinking it's got to be something behind SSMS, that SSMS is depending on. Just don't know what.

I did initially download and install SSMS 2016, because I thought that the newer versions could access older instances (which you verified that it can). But I got the same error as with 2012 so I uninstalled SSMS 2016 and installed 2012, since I thought maybe I was wrong and the versions needed to match.

I do have SSMS 2008 R2 installed - more than 1 SSMS can run side by side, correct? I did see some stuff in forums that said that it could.
Sue_H
Sue_H
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)

Yes you can run different version side by side - I have three on one PC.
In terms of the errors you keep getting, at this point it is highly unlikely to be anything with SSMS itself. I would guess either your PC itself or .Net framework issues. No idea which or any suggestions on how to proceed. About all I can suggest at this point is to go through all of your event logs and look for any issues.

Sue

amy.holzinger
amy.holzinger
SSC Veteran

Thanks for taking the time to help me, Sue.

Amy
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.