SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

The version of the report server database is either in a format that is not valid, or it cannot be...

The version of the report server database is either in a format that is not valid, or it cannot be read. The found version is '164'. The expected version is...

Author
jthomas 6231
SSC Journeyman
SSC Journeyman (89 reputation)SSC Journeyman (89 reputation)SSC Journeyman (89 reputation)SSC Journeyman (89 reputation)SSC Journeyman (89 reputation)SSC Journeyman (89 reputation)SSC Journeyman (89 reputation)SSC Journeyman (89 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
we are getting the following when we updated from SQL 2012 SP2 to SQL 2012 SP3

The version of the report server database is either in a format that is not valid, or it cannot be read. The found version is '164'. The expected version is '163'. (rsInvalidReportServerDatabase) Get Online Help

we thought it was because we updated our Database server but not the server that is running reporting Services. after we updated the RS server we are still getting the error.

the only fix was to run the following on the database server

delete from ReportServer.dbo.ServerUpgradeHistory where ServerVersion = 164

i see there are many posts everywhere about versions 163/162 but nothing about 164/163

anybody know why this is happening?
bmg002
bmg002
SSCoach
SSCoach (19K reputation)SSCoach (19K reputation)SSCoach (19K reputation)SSCoach (19K reputation)SSCoach (19K reputation)SSCoach (19K reputation)SSCoach (19K reputation)SSCoach (19K reputation)

As a thought - are your database and SSRS instance on the same SQL Instance? If not, did you update both SSRS instance and your database instance?

it sounds to me like the SQL instance hosting the database got updated but the SQL instance hosting SSRS did not.
Sue_H
Sue_H
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (66K reputation)SSC Guru (66K reputation)SSC Guru (66K reputation)SSC Guru (66K reputation)SSC Guru (66K reputation)SSC Guru (66K reputation)SSC Guru (66K reputation)SSC Guru (66K reputation)

I've seen in with a lot of different versions and ran into the error at a couple of client sites as well. I don't think it's just limited to any specific version numbers but rather configuration issues. I've seen it caused by not restarting SSRS after patching, having Report Manager pointing to the wrong database server, not patching the (correct) database server and SSRS together, not having RSExecRole as a member of dbo on the two databases, having errors when applying patches that no one doing patching noticed, etc.
I guess I haven't seen it be specific to 164/163 but rather general patching process or configuration issues that would apply to all versions.

Sue

SoHelpMeCodd
SoHelpMeCodd
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (5K reputation)SSCertifiable (5K reputation)SSCertifiable (5K reputation)SSCertifiable (5K reputation)SSCertifiable (5K reputation)SSCertifiable (5K reputation)SSCertifiable (5K reputation)SSCertifiable (5K reputation)

Agree that a restart of at least SSRS can be required after running a SP setup, as can be verified by inspecting the C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\110\Setup Bootstrap\Log\<date>\Summary<machine_date>.txt file that was created at the time when the SP setup was run:

Overall summary:  Final result:      Passed but reboot required, see logs for details

bmg002
bmg002
SSCoach
SSCoach (19K reputation)SSCoach (19K reputation)SSCoach (19K reputation)SSCoach (19K reputation)SSCoach (19K reputation)SSCoach (19K reputation)SSCoach (19K reputation)SSCoach (19K reputation)

SoHelpMeCodd - Thursday, March 2, 2017 1:22 PM
Agree that a restart of at least SSRS can be required after running a SP setup, as can be verified by inspecting the C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\110\Setup Bootstrap\Log\<date>\Summary<machine_date>.txt file that was created at the time when the SP setup was run:

Overall summary:  Final result:      Passed but reboot required, see logs for details

I could be wrong, but I am pretty sure that that statement is telling you that you need to reboot the server/VM.
If you try to install a different SQL thing, you will fail the "reboot required" check (unless you bypass that).

From everything I've seen and tested, it seems like it is a good idea to reboot the box after doing most windows updates and all sql updates. Seen a lot of strange things magically disappear with a reboot.

hemanthsmg01
hemanthsmg01
SSC Rookie
SSC Rookie (39 reputation)SSC Rookie (39 reputation)SSC Rookie (39 reputation)SSC Rookie (39 reputation)SSC Rookie (39 reputation)SSC Rookie (39 reputation)SSC Rookie (39 reputation)SSC Rookie (39 reputation)

We are getting the below error in report server DB.

The version of the report server database is either in a format that is not valid, or it cannot be read. The found version is '164'. The expected version is '163'. (rsInvalidReportServerDatabase) Get Online Help

How we fixed this issue:
1. update ServerUpgradeHistory set ServerVersion=163 where UpgradeID=3
2. select * from ReportServer.dbo.ServerUpgradeHistory with (nolock);
3. Restart the reporting services.

Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.