SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Spam Spam Bacon and Spam

Spam Spam Bacon and Spam

Author
Sean Lange
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (255K reputation)SSC Guru (255K reputation)SSC Guru (255K reputation)SSC Guru (255K reputation)SSC Guru (255K reputation)SSC Guru (255K reputation)SSC Guru (255K reputation)SSC Guru (255K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Wow the spam is just raging out of control again. It seemed to be under control for a few months but now there is once again the amount of spam welcoming me to my Monday morning "Active Threads" exceeds the actual post count probably 4 to 1. This is very unfortunate as there are likely some people who really want some help but I can't sift through the mountains of spam to find them. Something must be done or the quality of this site is going to start declining as more and more of the regular posters get fed up with amount of spam. I know myself I only come to the site a couple times a day anymore because the quantity of spam is overwhelming. What can we do to reduce this?

Need help? Help us help you.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Modens splitter.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns
Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs
Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1)
Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2)
Alvin Ramard
Alvin Ramard
SSC-Dedicated
SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)

Guess I'd better get another bottle of BBQ sauce. :-D

I wish there was a way to get back at those spammers. They won't stop until it costs them something.

Alvin Ramard
Memphis PASS Chapter

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Sean Lange
Sean Lange
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (255K reputation)SSC Guru (255K reputation)SSC Guru (255K reputation)SSC Guru (255K reputation)SSC Guru (255K reputation)SSC Guru (255K reputation)SSC Guru (255K reputation)SSC Guru (255K reputation)

Alvin Ramard (10/5/2015)
Guess I'd better get another bottle of BBQ sauce. :-D

I wish there was a way to get back at those spammers. They won't stop until it costs them something.

Or we find a way to make so difficult for them to post their crap it isn't worth the effort. It is a tough battle for sure because you want to make it difficult for invalid posters but easy for valid ones.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Lowell
Lowell
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (292K reputation)SSC Guru (292K reputation)SSC Guru (292K reputation)SSC Guru (292K reputation)SSC Guru (292K reputation)SSC Guru (292K reputation)SSC Guru (292K reputation)SSC Guru (292K reputation)

agreed. they added code that insta-deletes anything Celko posts(thank you for that!), so they can reuse that same code, and just add something that detects the new user spamming multiple forums in x seconds., and start expanding the spam detection rules from there.

Not sure, but do the spammers have to register and also confirm registration via an email link before they can post? or can they just register with fake@gmail.com and go crazy?

Lowell
--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!
Sean Lange
Sean Lange
SSC Guru

Lowell (10/5/2015)
agreed. they added code that insta-deletes anything Celko posts(thank you for that!), so they can reuse that same code, and just add something that detects the new user spamming multiple forums in x seconds., and start expanding the spam detection rules from there.

Not sure, but do the spammers have to register and also confirm registration via an email link before they can post? or can they just register with fake@gmail.com and go crazy?

They have to confirm the email but that isn't really too complicated. It is painless to setup a gmail account. Given the nature of most of the spammers around here it should be relatively easy to filter them out because they all seem to be the same thing. Some live feed of a sporting event.

Maybe it could be as simple as don't allow any link to be posted until you have a certain point value or have some logic to check posts for people with fewer than 10 points.

Phil Parkin
Phil Parkin
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (214K reputation)SSC Guru (214K reputation)SSC Guru (214K reputation)SSC Guru (214K reputation)SSC Guru (214K reputation)SSC Guru (214K reputation)SSC Guru (214K reputation)SSC Guru (214K reputation)

Lowell (10/5/2015)

Is that true about Celko? I wondered where that thread about "IN clause very slow" had gone.

Something really needs to be done. There are various strategies already in place in other fora around the Internet: I don't see why they couldn't implement a few here.

Help us to help you. For better, quicker and more-focused answers to your questions, consider following the advice in this link.

If the answer to your question can be found with a brief Google search, please perform the search yourself, rather than expecting one of the SSC members to do it for you.

Please surround any code or links you post with the appropriate IFCode formatting tags. It helps readability a lot.
Y.B.
Y.B.
SSCrazy Eights
SSCrazy Eights (9.2K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.2K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.2K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.2K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.2K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.2K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.2K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.2K reputation)

Lowell (10/5/2015)

Really? Are you funnin me? (sorry had to throw in a movie quote)
I'm not aware of the history there but it must have been something special to get that kind of attention. That being said wouldn't disabling the account be easier...

SELECT quote FROM brain WHERE original = 1
0 rows returned
Eric M Russell
Eric M Russell
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (108K reputation)SSC Guru (108K reputation)SSC Guru (108K reputation)SSC Guru (108K reputation)SSC Guru (108K reputation)SSC Guru (108K reputation)SSC Guru (108K reputation)SSC Guru (108K reputation)

Perhaps we could have a spam reporting policy that works something like this:

If a trusted user (meaning perhaps a user with a certain level of points of higher) reports a new post (created in last 24 hours and having 0 replies) as spam, then the post immediately becomes invisible and will remain so, unless a website administrator (like Steve) manually overrides the spam flag.

"The universe is complicated and for the most part beyond your control, but your life is only as complicated as you choose it to be."
Phil Parkin
Phil Parkin
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (214K reputation)SSC Guru (214K reputation)SSC Guru (214K reputation)SSC Guru (214K reputation)SSC Guru (214K reputation)SSC Guru (214K reputation)SSC Guru (214K reputation)SSC Guru (214K reputation)

Eric M Russell (10/5/2015)
Perhaps we could have a spam reporting policy that works something like this:

If a trusted user (meaning perhaps a user with a certain level of points of higher) reports a new post (created in last 24 hours and having 0 replies) as spam, then the post immediately becomes invisible and will remain so, unless a website administrator (like Steve) manually overrides the spam flag.

Something like this is good, but I'd take it further.

If the 'spam account' is new (created in the 'last 12 hours', say), their account is disabled.

To have the account re-enabled, the user has to request it (manually).

An admin reviews the requests for re-enablement (excuse the made-up word) and actions as necessary.

Help us to help you. For better, quicker and more-focused answers to your questions, consider following the advice in this link.

If the answer to your question can be found with a brief Google search, please perform the search yourself, rather than expecting one of the SSC members to do it for you.

Please surround any code or links you post with the appropriate IFCode formatting tags. It helps readability a lot.
dave.convery@red-gate.com
dave.convery@red-gate.com
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)

Group: Administrators
We're just looking at this now, but it's likely that it's just a URL structure that our spam filter hasn't learned yet. It should start to fade away as it gets used to the format/target of these posts.
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.