Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Apology for today's article

Apology for today's article

Author
Koen Verbeeck
SSCoach
SSCoach (19K reputation)SSCoach (19K reputation)SSCoach (19K reputation)SSCoach (19K reputation)SSCoach (19K reputation)SSCoach (19K reputation)SSCoach (19K reputation)SSCoach (19K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Maybe the editorial process could include something like "copy paste a sentence into google and see if something turns up".
It will not catch everything, but at least the pure copy/paste plagiarism will be eliminated.

How to post forum questions.
Need an answer? No, you need a question.
What’s the deal with Excel & SSIS?
My blog at SQLKover.

MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP
alin.selicean
alin.selicean
Valued Member
Valued Member (56 reputation)Valued Member (56 reputation)Valued Member (56 reputation)Valued Member (56 reputation)Valued Member (56 reputation)Valued Member (56 reputation)Valued Member (56 reputation)Valued Member (56 reputation)

Also, would be beneficial to make the name of the "author" public so other sites will be aware of him and his practices.
chrisn-585491
chrisn-585491
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)

Also, would be beneficial to make the name of the "author" public so other sites will be aware of him and his practices.

If you get the email subscription, you can find the name, not that it helps. It probably will add more fuel to some uncomfortable issues.

There are hundreds of articles and blog postings by others, found elsewhere, that are little more than regurgitated MSDN articles with new screen shots and a few minor changes. I guess some people don't understand how easy it is to recognize and trace these issues.

The really sad thing is that it causes other problems in the community, including deep biases against specific cultures and backgrounds. It has affected peoples responses to innocent quality individuals even within PASS. That's a real bummer.
alin.selicean
alin.selicean
Valued Member
Valued Member (56 reputation)Valued Member (56 reputation)Valued Member (56 reputation)Valued Member (56 reputation)Valued Member (56 reputation)Valued Member (56 reputation)Valued Member (56 reputation)Valued Member (56 reputation)

I agree and I found the name... Was saying to make it public in their apology letter, although, now that thinking it out loud, it would create more publicity for that person... So, yeah... Sad...
chrisn-585491
chrisn-585491
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)

So, yeah... Sad...

Sad is the word. Sadder still is that at my work a colleague had a bet to guess the background of the author... Sad
Koen Verbeeck
Koen Verbeeck
SSCoach
SSCoach (19K reputation)SSCoach (19K reputation)SSCoach (19K reputation)SSCoach (19K reputation)SSCoach (19K reputation)SSCoach (19K reputation)SSCoach (19K reputation)SSCoach (19K reputation)

chrisn-585491 (6/23/2014)
So, yeah... Sad...

Sad is the word. Sadder still is that at my work a colleague had a bet to guess the background of the author... Sad

Unfortunately, most of the copyright violaters at this site share a similar background.
Rotten appels in a basket...

How to post forum questions.
Need an answer? No, you need a question.
What’s the deal with Excel & SSIS?
My blog at SQLKover.

MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP
danielfountain
danielfountain
SSC Eights!
SSC Eights! (825 reputation)SSC Eights! (825 reputation)SSC Eights! (825 reputation)SSC Eights! (825 reputation)SSC Eights! (825 reputation)SSC Eights! (825 reputation)SSC Eights! (825 reputation)SSC Eights! (825 reputation)

Koen Verbeeck (6/23/2014)
Maybe the editorial process could include something like "copy paste a sentence into google and see if something turns up".
It will not catch everything, but at least the pure copy/paste plagiarism will be eliminated.

There seem to be loads of plagiarism finder tools online like this one:

http://www.plagscan.com/seesources/search.php?

Try one.
Jeff Moden
Jeff Moden
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (54K reputation)SSC Guru (54K reputation)SSC Guru (54K reputation)SSC Guru (54K reputation)SSC Guru (54K reputation)SSC Guru (54K reputation)SSC Guru (54K reputation)SSC Guru (54K reputation)

This is another reason why I call SQLServerCentral.com "home". There's a lot of honor in the good folks that run this site.

There are some sites (some that are even "professional" sites) where the idea of a copyright doesn't seem to hold any water and it's a huge pain to write a DCMA on them. I've not only had many an article copied directly but a good number of them are where the blog owner has removed my name and claimed it as if it were their original work. On many of these sites, there's no way given to even lodge a complaint against the blog owner. Both the site and the blog owner where this happens have no such honor and gives the country of origin an otherwise undeserved bad name.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced ree-bar and is a Modenism for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column.
If you think its expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur. -- Red Adair

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Forum FAQs
ChrisM@Work
ChrisM@Work
SSChampion
SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)

Koen Verbeeck (6/23/2014)
chrisn-585491 (6/23/2014)
So, yeah... Sad...

Unfortunately, most of the copyright violaters at this site share a similar background.
Rotten appels in a basket...

Yes they do, there's a cultural difference at play here. In a culture where plagiarism is second nature, your opinion might seem strange. Like your neighbour telling the police you put a chicken bone in the paper recycling bin - whoops, that's Germany, not Belgium - but you get the point. Keep pushing and educating, tell 'em it's not ok with the rest of the world and eventually they will get the point too.
We were told as kids in Scotland not to wipe one's nose on one's sleeve in Japan Hehe

“Write the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden
Exploring Recursive CTEs by Example Dwain Camps
chrisn-585491
chrisn-585491
Ten Centuries

In a culture where plagiarism is second nature, your opinion might seem strange.

I think you mean corruption, not just plagiarism.

And it's sad because to achieve any means of success in those societies, you have to play by a totally unethical set rules compared to other societies. Money trumps honor. Which is becoming the normal in the stratosphere of this country too...

Sad
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.