SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Laptop Dreams

Laptop Dreams

Author
Steve Jones
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (83K reputation)SSC Guru (83K reputation)SSC Guru (83K reputation)SSC Guru (83K reputation)SSC Guru (83K reputation)SSC Guru (83K reputation)SSC Guru (83K reputation)SSC Guru (83K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Laptop Dreams

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest
Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
My Blog: www.voiceofthedba.com
Robert Sterbal-482516
Robert Sterbal-482516
Old Hand
Old Hand (302 reputation)Old Hand (302 reputation)Old Hand (302 reputation)Old Hand (302 reputation)Old Hand (302 reputation)Old Hand (302 reputation)Old Hand (302 reputation)Old Hand (302 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Am I spoiled by the fact that I'm willing to lug my digital SLR virtually everywhere?
Gary Varga
Gary Varga
SSCoach
SSCoach (19K reputation)SSCoach (19K reputation)SSCoach (19K reputation)SSCoach (19K reputation)SSCoach (19K reputation)SSCoach (19K reputation)SSCoach (19K reputation)SSCoach (19K reputation)

I am in mid-laptop ownership (as in it has at least a couple of years suitable performance left etc.). This is fortunate as I too would be in a quandary. Also, I can do almost everything with my phone. Videoing and taking photographs is less of an issue as I am SOOOOO bad at both that I always end up wondering why I bothered.

Gaz

-- Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...they're everywhere!!!
MiguelSQL
MiguelSQL
Old Hand
Old Hand (360 reputation)Old Hand (360 reputation)Old Hand (360 reputation)Old Hand (360 reputation)Old Hand (360 reputation)Old Hand (360 reputation)Old Hand (360 reputation)Old Hand (360 reputation)

Personal pet peeve of mine... really don't like people who record with a table. It obstruct the view of people behind you. It's a tablet, not a camera.

But otherwise the surface gets the job done

Miguel
Ken Welsh
Ken Welsh
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)

Steve,

If you got a USB "wireless router on a stick" you should be able to connect the tablet to the BRIX quite easily.

Just a thought...
Neil Burton
Neil Burton
SSCarpal Tunnel
SSCarpal Tunnel (4.2K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.2K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.2K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.2K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.2K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.2K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.2K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.2K reputation)

Robert Sterbal-482516 (5/25/2014)
Am I spoiled by the fact that I'm willing to lug my digital SLR virtually everywhere?

My wife's the same. I've got a smaller, lighter mid-range compact that I imagine is much easier to take pictures with than a tablet. If you spent less on\didn't buy the tablet and bought a half-decent camera with the savings, I think you'd be happier with the pictures. It's a few minutes' extra effort to upload the pictures to the tablet but in the long run the results are worth it. A camera is also easier to carry about and can probably be brought into use quicker. Of course, there are other arguments for buying the tablet but I don't think its use as a camera should be one of them. It may be a consideration for a phone but for me it would be very low down the list for any kind of tablet.

On two occasions I have been asked, "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" ... I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
—Charles Babbage, Passages from the Life of a Philosopher

How to post a question to get the most help
Gary Varga
Gary Varga
SSCoach
SSCoach (19K reputation)SSCoach (19K reputation)SSCoach (19K reputation)SSCoach (19K reputation)SSCoach (19K reputation)SSCoach (19K reputation)SSCoach (19K reputation)SSCoach (19K reputation)

People using the tablet as a camera/video recorder reminds me of the comedian Dom Jolly's sketch "I'm on the phone". It can be a variant of wearing a sombrero at the cinema.

Gaz

-- Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...they're everywhere!!!
GilaMonster
GilaMonster
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (117K reputation)SSC Guru (117K reputation)SSC Guru (117K reputation)SSC Guru (117K reputation)SSC Guru (117K reputation)SSC Guru (117K reputation)SSC Guru (117K reputation)SSC Guru (117K reputation)

I need a new laptop myself, but not even considering a surface.

I have an iPad which serves the tablet role just fine. My requirements for a laptop include being able to run full SQL Server, be a presentation platform and being able to play MMOs and Steam games and, to be honest, I don't like working on a small screen.

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Neil Burton
Neil Burton
SSCarpal Tunnel
SSCarpal Tunnel (4.2K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.2K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.2K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.2K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.2K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.2K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.2K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.2K reputation)

GilaMonster (5/27/2014)
I need a new laptop myself, but not even considering a surface.

I have an iPad which serves the tablet role just fine. My requirements for a laptop include being able to run full SQL Server, be a presentation platform and being able to play MMOs and Steam games and, to be honest, I don't like working on a small screen.

They're definitely very different beasts. There are things at the moment that a tablet just can't do. If its main use is going to be checking emails, creating the odd document and using the internet then maybe a tablet is right. For 'proper' work it's a laptop all the way.

On two occasions I have been asked, "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" ... I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
—Charles Babbage, Passages from the Life of a Philosopher

How to post a question to get the most help
Xavon
Xavon
SSC Eights!
SSC Eights! (894 reputation)SSC Eights! (894 reputation)SSC Eights! (894 reputation)SSC Eights! (894 reputation)SSC Eights! (894 reputation)SSC Eights! (894 reputation)SSC Eights! (894 reputation)SSC Eights! (894 reputation)

I love my Surface 2 Pro, and am even adapting to Windows 8. And the Power Cover is a great, easily detachable keyboard and second battery. I used to use a blue tooth keyboard, which was also pretty good.
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.