SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

SQL Prompt Tips #1 - Selecting in the Object Explorer

SQL Prompt Tips #1 - Selecting in the Object Explorer

Author
Steve Jones
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (220K reputation)SSC Guru (220K reputation)SSC Guru (220K reputation)SSC Guru (220K reputation)SSC Guru (220K reputation)SSC Guru (220K reputation)SSC Guru (220K reputation)SSC Guru (220K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Comments posted to this topic are about the item SQL Prompt Tips #1 - Selecting in the Object Explorer

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest
Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
My Blog: www.voiceofthedba.com
lcajui
lcajui
Old Hand
Old Hand (321 reputation)Old Hand (321 reputation)Old Hand (321 reputation)Old Hand (321 reputation)Old Hand (321 reputation)Old Hand (321 reputation)Old Hand (321 reputation)Old Hand (321 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Good Morning.

How may I configure this shortcut?

Thanks.
Steve Jones
Steve Jones
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (220K reputation)SSC Guru (220K reputation)SSC Guru (220K reputation)SSC Guru (220K reputation)SSC Guru (220K reputation)SSC Guru (220K reputation)SSC Guru (220K reputation)SSC Guru (220K reputation)

There is no configuration. This is already set if you use SQL Prompt. If you don't have SQL Prompt, then I don't know how this would work.

Adrian_1
Adrian_1
Valued Member
Valued Member (54 reputation)Valued Member (54 reputation)Valued Member (54 reputation)Valued Member (54 reputation)Valued Member (54 reputation)Valued Member (54 reputation)Valued Member (54 reputation)Valued Member (54 reputation)

Hi Steve

This sounds like a really useful tip, but what should I look for if it doesn't work?
Ctrl/F12 does absolutely nothing, yes I do have SQL Prompt installed and it works fine when prompting.
(SSMS 11.0.3000.0)

Thanks
Adrian
Steve Jones
Steve Jones
SSC Guru

That's a tough question. I'd contact support. It's possible you have a key overload of some sort, based on your environment. Do you have Prompt 6? I think 6.3 is the latest incremental build.

You can post a note here: http://www.red-gate.com/messageboard/viewforum.php?f=169 or click the contact support item.

Steve Jones
Steve Jones
SSC Guru

found this as well: http://www.red-gate.com/messageboard/viewtopic.php?t=19630&highlight=ctrl+f12

steve.johnson 97721
steve.johnson 97721
SSC Rookie
SSC Rookie (29 reputation)SSC Rookie (29 reputation)SSC Rookie (29 reputation)SSC Rookie (29 reputation)SSC Rookie (29 reputation)SSC Rookie (29 reputation)SSC Rookie (29 reputation)SSC Rookie (29 reputation)

Only works for me if I highlight the object name and that name is not in brackets.
Adrian_1
Adrian_1
Valued Member
Valued Member (54 reputation)Valued Member (54 reputation)Valued Member (54 reputation)Valued Member (54 reputation)Valued Member (54 reputation)Valued Member (54 reputation)Valued Member (54 reputation)Valued Member (54 reputation)

it's working fine now, dunno what happened the previous time :-)
Thanks for the help
Daryl AZ
Daryl AZ
SSC Eights!
SSC Eights! (876 reputation)SSC Eights! (876 reputation)SSC Eights! (876 reputation)SSC Eights! (876 reputation)SSC Eights! (876 reputation)SSC Eights! (876 reputation)SSC Eights! (876 reputation)SSC Eights! (876 reputation)

I am a huge fan of Sql Prompt. Prior it seemed i would manage to memorize most of the database for quick querying.

Do you know of a method to copy to pasteboard the quick text from sql prompt?
EX: typing an exec stored procedure or select from a table a pause allows sql prompt to show the DDL.

A short cut key to copy that code w/o taking hands off of the keyboard and using the mouse to click to copy button would be fantastic.

thanks
daryl
Ed Klein-385786
Ed Klein-385786
SSC-Addicted
SSC-Addicted (469 reputation)SSC-Addicted (469 reputation)SSC-Addicted (469 reputation)SSC-Addicted (469 reputation)SSC-Addicted (469 reputation)SSC-Addicted (469 reputation)SSC-Addicted (469 reputation)SSC-Addicted (469 reputation)

This function will silently fail (no error msg) if the object you are searching for is new and does not yet appear in the object tree. Refreshing the tree may be necessary after creating an object. That would explain why it appeared to fail, but then later worked.
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.