SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Change to Dimension ID and Fact ID from Varchar to Int. Need to sort in Analysis Services

Change to Dimension ID and Fact ID from Varchar to Int. Need to sort in Analysis Services

Author
Debbie Edwards
SSCrazy Eights
SSCrazy Eights (8.1K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.1K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.1K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.1K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.1K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.1K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.1K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.1K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
In an attempt to get something done quick I made a blunder and my Age dimesnion IDwas varchar along with the fact table.

I managed to sort it out and they are now both int.

However Im getting the following error message(s) for every fact table.

Error 1 MeasureGroupAttribute [SEN].[COP Stage Pupil Business Measures].[Age].[DW Age ID]
The key column #0 has data type 'WChar' different than the attribute's key column data type 'Integer'. 0 0

Im not sure how to sort this out. is there any way to get this reset?

Ta

Debbie
anthony.green
anthony.green
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (99K reputation)SSC Guru (99K reputation)SSC Guru (99K reputation)SSC Guru (99K reputation)SSC Guru (99K reputation)SSC Guru (99K reputation)SSC Guru (99K reputation)SSC Guru (99K reputation)

Have you refreshed your data source view so that it picks up the new schema?

How to post data/code for the best help - Jeff Moden
Need a string splitter, try this - Jeff Moden
How to post performance problems - Gail Shaw
Managing Transaction Logs - Gail Shaw
Troubleshooting SQL Server: A Guide for the Accidental DBA - Jonathan Kehayias and Ted Krueger

Debbie Edwards
Debbie Edwards
SSCrazy Eights
SSCrazy Eights (8.1K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.1K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.1K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.1K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.1K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.1K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.1K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.1K reputation)

Yes I have done all of that and the data source is reflecting the new data types
anthony.green
anthony.green
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (99K reputation)SSC Guru (99K reputation)SSC Guru (99K reputation)SSC Guru (99K reputation)SSC Guru (99K reputation)SSC Guru (99K reputation)SSC Guru (99K reputation)SSC Guru (99K reputation)

Strange as that would of been my first point to look at, as it seems to be the most logical.

Have you tried using a calculated column using a cast operator to implicitly change the data types (shouldn't have to if the DSV is correct but might be worth a shot).

How to post data/code for the best help - Jeff Moden
Need a string splitter, try this - Jeff Moden
How to post performance problems - Gail Shaw
Managing Transaction Logs - Gail Shaw
Troubleshooting SQL Server: A Guide for the Accidental DBA - Jonathan Kehayias and Ted Krueger

Debbie Edwards
Debbie Edwards
SSCrazy Eights

Looks like Ive got a lot more problems that that I currently have a very broken Project. T
Mackers
Mackers
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)

You'll need to alter the datatype of the attribute

Edit the dimension and go to properties of the offending attribute. KeyColumns --> DataType needs to be changed from WChar to Integer

Mack
Debbie Edwards
Debbie Edwards
SSCrazy Eights

It already is an integer. The data source is fine. Do you mean on the cube its self?
Mackers
Mackers
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)

Sorry for being unclear..... Edit the dimension of the cube and go to properties of the offending attribute. KeyColumns --> DataType needs to be changed from WChar to Integer

The cube attribute stores the datatype as well - not sure just updating just the DSV is enough

Mack
Debbie Edwards
Debbie Edwards
SSCrazy Eights

OK so...

Im in the cube. I go into the tab dimension useage
for the Age dimension the measure group column side is underlined in red

The Key column has data type Wchar different that the attributes ID of Integer. To correct this issue edit the relationship or delete and recreate it.

OK so I go in to try and delete and I cant see anything about the key column, Even when I go into advanced.

I could try and create the relationship again in here but I'm guessing I'm still not in the right area that you are talking about
Debbie Edwards
Debbie Edwards
SSCrazy Eights

Ive deleted and added again in the Dimension useage tab. The red underline has gone. lets see what happens.
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.