SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Tracking Processes

Tracking Processes

Author
Error Handler
SSC Eights!
SSC Eights! (828 reputation)SSC Eights! (828 reputation)SSC Eights! (828 reputation)SSC Eights! (828 reputation)SSC Eights! (828 reputation)SSC Eights! (828 reputation)SSC Eights! (828 reputation)SSC Eights! (828 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Tracking Processes

Best,
Naseer Ahmad
SQL Server DBA
Lokesh Vij
Lokesh Vij
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)

Thanks Naseer...a very easy question to conclude this week :-)

~ Lokesh Vij

Guidelines for quicker answers on T-SQL question
Guidelines for answers on Performance questions

Link to my Blog Post --> www.SQLPathy.com

Follow me @Twitter

rVadim
rVadim
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)

I answered "Non of the above". I thought DiskIO in sp_Who2 means reads and writes combined, not just reads as question asks. Am I wrong?
fred koene
fred koene
SSC-Addicted
SSC-Addicted (481 reputation)SSC-Addicted (481 reputation)SSC-Addicted (481 reputation)SSC-Addicted (481 reputation)SSC-Addicted (481 reputation)SSC-Addicted (481 reputation)SSC-Addicted (481 reputation)SSC-Addicted (481 reputation)

I thought the same, none of the above. Also thinking that Disk IO is a combination of reads and writes, which makes it unclear how many of them were reads.
vk-kirov
vk-kirov
SSCarpal Tunnel
SSCarpal Tunnel (4.6K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.6K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.6K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.6K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.6K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.6K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.6K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.6K reputation)

rVadim (9/20/2012)

I thought DiskIO in sp_Who2 means reads and writes combined, not just reads as question asks. Am I wrong?

You are absolutely right. Running 'sp_helptext sp_who2', we can see the following:

--------------------  Capture consistent sysprocesses.  -------------------
select
spid
,physical_io
into #tb1_sysprocesses
from master.dbo.sysprocesses with (nolock)

--------Output the report.
SELECT
SPID = convert(char(5),spid)
,DiskIO = substring(convert(varchar,physical_io),1,@charMaxLenDiskIO)
from
#tb1_sysprocesses
where

According to BOL (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms179881.aspx), the column 'physical_io' in sys.sysprocesses contains 'Cumulative disk reads and writes for the process'. So the correct question is indeed 'None of the above' (although I'd 'guessed' the author's thoughts and answered 'sp_who2' Hehe )
Raghavendra Mudugal
Raghavendra Mudugal
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)

rVadim (9/20/2012)

I answered "Non of the above". I thought DiskIO in sp_Who2 means reads and writes combined, not just reads as question asks. Am I wrong?

+1

(I got the answer right Blush, but it is wrong... so all wrongs are rights and all rights who thought it was right is wrong)

ww; Raghu
--
The first and the hardest SQL statement I have wrote- "select * from customers" - and I was happy and felt smart.
Raghavendra Mudugal
Raghavendra Mudugal
Hall of Fame

vk-kirov (9/21/2012)
(although I'd 'guessed' the author's thoughts and answered 'sp_who2' Hehe )

OR probably author can edit the question and add" and writes" in the appropriate place. (only if this is true consideration for him... OR the answer needs to be corrected.)

ww; Raghu
--
The first and the hardest SQL statement I have wrote- "select * from customers" - and I was happy and felt smart.
Carlo Romagnano
Carlo Romagnano
SSCrazy Eights
SSCrazy Eights (8.4K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.4K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.4K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.4K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.4K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.4K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.4K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.4K reputation)

I get it right, but
rVadim (9/20/2012)

DiskIO in sp_Who2 means reads and writes combined, not just reads as question asks.

+1
paul.knibbs
paul.knibbs
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (5.1K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.1K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.1K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.1K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.1K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.1K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.1K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.1K reputation)

I'm another who answered "None of the above" because the disk IO in sp_who2 is both reads and writes, not just reads--it's the sort of trick answer that a lot of questions on this website would have used.
Divine Flame
Divine Flame
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (5.6K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.6K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.6K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.6K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.6K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.6K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.6K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.6K reputation)

I thought I guessed correctly what Naseer was trying to ask. So, one easy point for me to end the week :-) Thanks.

Sujeet Singh
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.