SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Unable to increase initial file size in SQL2000

Unable to increase initial file size in SQL2000

Author
jql714
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
I need some help on resize a ndf file in SQL2000. Some of our databases have reached over 1TB. I've added ndf files to these databases. Since we don't have much room on the SAN, the initial sizes for these files are not that big.

I've found that SQL distributed the new data based on the initial size. That means the mdf file is still loaded with the majority data. So hoping more data will be allocated to the ndf files, I've tried to increase the ndf file size however unsuccessful. Every time, it reverts back to its original size??? The script I've been using is:
ALTER DATABASE myDB
MODIFY FILE
(NAME = myDB_ndf,
SIZE = 200GB)
GO

Can somebody enlight me? I will be very grateful!:-)
durai nagarajan
durai nagarajan
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)

where is your ndf is it on primary group or secondary?

which is group is default?.

Regards
Durai Nagarajan
jql714
jql714
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)

The ndf files are in the primary filegroup.
jql714
jql714
Forum Newbie

I've tried the second time using Enterprise Manager in SQL2000. It is executed successfully and the size is seemingly change. But it reverted back again the next day?!!

Any suggestions or ideas? Thanks a lot!
MVDBA
MVDBA
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)

is auto shrink turned on ? is there a dbcc shrinkfile/shrinkdb command being issues?

MVDBA
jql714
jql714
Forum Newbie

You are right! The Autoshrink is on for the database. The developers creaeted these databases using their script. I did not create the database but I should have checked it.

I will turn it off and try it again. Thanks so much!
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.