SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Stored procedure to find and replace text in a text file

Stored procedure to find and replace text in a text file

Author
genehunter29009
SSC Journeyman
SSC Journeyman (91 reputation)SSC Journeyman (91 reputation)SSC Journeyman (91 reputation)SSC Journeyman (91 reputation)SSC Journeyman (91 reputation)SSC Journeyman (91 reputation)SSC Journeyman (91 reputation)SSC Journeyman (91 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Stored procedure to find and replace text in a text file
genehunter29009
genehunter29009
SSC Journeyman
SSC Journeyman (91 reputation)SSC Journeyman (91 reputation)SSC Journeyman (91 reputation)SSC Journeyman (91 reputation)SSC Journeyman (91 reputation)SSC Journeyman (91 reputation)SSC Journeyman (91 reputation)SSC Journeyman (91 reputation)

@servername is the text you want to change
@newservername is what you want to change it too.

orginanally used to change server name in generated sql files for DR where servername is different.
John Reddy
John Reddy
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (130 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (130 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (130 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (130 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (130 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (130 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (130 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (130 reputation)

what if the usage of xp_cmdshell is restricted? .. Any workaround to still be able to do this?
Andre Guerreiro
Andre Guerreiro
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)

You could also use a CLR assembly with code to do that but it depends on the environment and the security of the server. It's a bad idea to leave 'xp_cmdshell' enabled in a production environment.

Why not use a programming language to do what you need? I don't think T-SQL is the right tool to use here but I could be wrong.

Best regards,

Best regards,

Andre Guerreiro Neto

Database Analyst
http://www.softplan.com.br
MCITPx1/MCTSx2/MCSE/MCSA
genehunter29009
genehunter29009
SSC Journeyman

you can always enable the command shell and then disable it in the stored procedure. That way its only on for a moment.
pelumi22
pelumi22
Grasshopper
Grasshopper (17 reputation)Grasshopper (17 reputation)Grasshopper (17 reputation)Grasshopper (17 reputation)Grasshopper (17 reputation)Grasshopper (17 reputation)Grasshopper (17 reputation)Grasshopper (17 reputation)

I keep getting system cannot find the specified file. Though i know my .sql file exists. The new file was created but with 0kb
genehunter29009
genehunter29009
SSC Journeyman

what is the exact syntax you are using?
David McKinney
David McKinney
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)

Top marks for the stored procedure name!! As for the rest, there's not much sql in it! More a lesson on how to issue dos type commands via sql.

But if it works....why not!
UKGav
UKGav
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (106 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (106 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (106 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (106 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (106 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (106 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (106 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (106 reputation)

I found this interesting, but have not tried it out thus far.

What would be nice is if the script had commented explanations of exactly what each piece of code is doing and why.

The @servername & @newservername should be changed as well - if it's adapted from another purpose then thats cool, but it has a new purpose now so not too hard to FART (find & replace those) parameters.

- Gav.
genehunter29009
genehunter29009
SSC Journeyman

Every script has value no matter how you slice it. Every time i see a new way of doing something, i like to share it. this script had one purpose to change a server name, but you can rename the parameters what you wish. I just thought someone might like to see this example of manipulating text files.
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.