SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Does It Help

Does It Help

Author
Steve Jones
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (83K reputation)SSC Guru (83K reputation)SSC Guru (83K reputation)SSC Guru (83K reputation)SSC Guru (83K reputation)SSC Guru (83K reputation)SSC Guru (83K reputation)SSC Guru (83K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Does It Help

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest
Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
My Blog: www.voiceofthedba.com
john.martin-975670
john.martin-975670
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
2 monitors are best for me by far - and 3 would be ideal
call.copse
call.copse
SSCarpal Tunnel
SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)

Some of my colleagues have preferred a widescreen - no, I do not get that. Dual anyday, but each to their own.
Barry G Freeman
Barry G Freeman
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (119 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (119 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (119 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (119 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (119 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (119 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (119 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (119 reputation)

Definitely 2 monitors.

I often have to review scripts - sometimes many, many scripts. Being able to have a file manager one one screen and SSMS on the other is a great help.

Or SSMS on one, BOL on the other, or SSMS and a web browser.

I've used dual monitors for years at home and wouldn't want to work any other way now.

Finally got a Tablet as well to replace the mouse at work. No more RSI.

DBA (Dogsbody with Bad Attitude)
bj_fentress
bj_fentress
Grasshopper
Grasshopper (15 reputation)Grasshopper (15 reputation)Grasshopper (15 reputation)Grasshopper (15 reputation)Grasshopper (15 reputation)Grasshopper (15 reputation)Grasshopper (15 reputation)Grasshopper (15 reputation)

Definitely 2 monitors. I do alot of DB and SharePoint work and I have found the most helpful setup for me at work is to have one machine and one monitor in dev and have another setup in production with one monitor that way I can look at changes in dev and compre them when I apply in production or have to troubleshoot issues from one domain to the other.
I feel hadicapped a little when I only use one monitor now... :-)
justinb486
justinb486
Valued Member
Valued Member (62 reputation)Valued Member (62 reputation)Valued Member (62 reputation)Valued Member (62 reputation)Valued Member (62 reputation)Valued Member (62 reputation)Valued Member (62 reputation)Valued Member (62 reputation)

2 monitors is definitely better, though I'd like to try 3!

I've a 27" and 24" screens, both 1920* resolution, but it still never seems enough with the vast quantity of information and surrounding tools to see, esp in Visual Studio 2010.

john.riley-1111039
john.riley-1111039
SSC Veteran
SSC Veteran (217 reputation)SSC Veteran (217 reputation)SSC Veteran (217 reputation)SSC Veteran (217 reputation)SSC Veteran (217 reputation)SSC Veteran (217 reputation)SSC Veteran (217 reputation)SSC Veteran (217 reputation)

At Logica, we are issued with laptops rather than desktop machines, an arrangement I
am happy with. They provide monitors too so we don't have to use a small laptop screen,
but everyone I know has it set up as 2 different screens. My work monitor is 1280x1024,
but I use a 1920x1080 at home. Using the laptop without another monitor seems very restrictive
now. I would cheerfully use 3 or even 4 monitors, if the hardware and OS supported it.
jd 60382
jd 60382
Grasshopper
Grasshopper (19 reputation)Grasshopper (19 reputation)Grasshopper (19 reputation)Grasshopper (19 reputation)Grasshopper (19 reputation)Grasshopper (19 reputation)Grasshopper (19 reputation)Grasshopper (19 reputation)

I have used a two monitor setup at home for the past eight years.

Started as a vanity test to impress a potential customer. After just two days of using the setup I was hooked.

Being an accidental DBA, with most of my work done in Visual Studio as a software developer, I estimate that the time I saved alone in the first month paid for the investment.

Without a doubt... it helps.
Japie Botma
Japie Botma
Old Hand
Old Hand (378 reputation)Old Hand (378 reputation)Old Hand (378 reputation)Old Hand (378 reputation)Old Hand (378 reputation)Old Hand (378 reputation)Old Hand (378 reputation)Old Hand (378 reputation)

I am blessed by having the best of both worlds. Ok, I know I am bragging, but it’s nice. I have a 27inch wide aspect for apps like management studio, where I can have all the property windows open I want and a 19 inch to see incoming email etc. Next to that I have a 3rd screen connected to a monitoring server displaying critical performance and other information. I agree that the dual screen setup saves time, but as Justin said, it is still not enough.

5ilverFox
Consulting DBA
South Africa
james.f.smith
james.f.smith
SSC Rookie
SSC Rookie (27 reputation)SSC Rookie (27 reputation)SSC Rookie (27 reputation)SSC Rookie (27 reputation)SSC Rookie (27 reputation)SSC Rookie (27 reputation)SSC Rookie (27 reputation)SSC Rookie (27 reputation)

Our team just went from a desktop with twin 17" monitors (or laptop on dock + single 17") to twin 24" monitors and WOW, the difference in efficiency and just reduced eyestrain is amazing. I can have multiple Excels plus Mgt Studio plus Outlook open at the same time and not go blind or crazy...
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.