Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Changing Owner or Mirrored DBs

Changing Owner or Mirrored DBs

Author
Jonathan Marshall
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (128 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (128 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (128 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (128 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (128 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (128 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (128 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (128 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
How would I go about changing owners of a database that are within a mirror?

Jonathan
Jonathan Marshall
Jonathan Marshall
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (128 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (128 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (128 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (128 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (128 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (128 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (128 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (128 reputation)

Would I have to remove mirroring then change the owner then setup mirroring back?
Perry Whittle
Perry Whittle
SSChampion
SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)

exec sp_changedbowner at the principal

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" ;-)
Jonathan Marshall
Jonathan Marshall
SSC-Enthusiastic

I tried this at the owner but did not have any luck.
So I just ended up removing the mirroring, changing the owner then going back and setting backup the mirroring.

Jonathan
Perry Whittle
Perry Whittle
SSChampion
SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)

what was the command you used to do this

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jonathan Marshall
Jonathan Marshall
SSC-Enthusiastic

exec sp_changedbowner 'sa'
Perry Whittle
Perry Whittle
SSChampion

Jonathan Marshall (7/8/2011)
exec sp_changedbowner 'sa'

as you're not using a USE statement, what database focus did you have set for the query window?

also did the user account exist on the mirror server, you need to ensure accounts are synchronised between the 2 instances?

Jonathan Marshall
Jonathan Marshall
SSC-Enthusiastic

Error message
Msg 954
The database x cannot be opened because it is acting as a mirror database
Perry Whittle
Perry Whittle
SSChampion

Jonathan Marshall (7/8/2011)
Error message
Msg 954
The database x cannot be opened because it is acting as a mirror database

i am able to change the owner at the principal with no issues, however this does not filter through to the mirror. failover manually and change the owner is how i did it eventually

That error leads me to believe you ran the command against the mirror database

Jonathan Marshall
Jonathan Marshall
SSC-Enthusiastic

My apologies if I was not clear but I meant on the mirrored databases I could not change the ownership.

Jonathan
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.