SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

NoSQL Basics

NoSQL Basics

Author
Steve Jones
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (83K reputation)SSC Guru (83K reputation)SSC Guru (83K reputation)SSC Guru (83K reputation)SSC Guru (83K reputation)SSC Guru (83K reputation)SSC Guru (83K reputation)SSC Guru (83K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Comments posted to this topic are about the item NoSQL Basics

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest
Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
My Blog: www.voiceofthedba.com
phegedusich
phegedusich
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (178 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (178 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (178 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (178 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (178 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (178 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (178 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (178 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Thanks for the informative article, Steve, but the inner English major in me couldn't resist.

"Cassandra is not interchangeable with MongoDB, and Voldemort is different than the other two."

No, it's not. It's different from the other two. This increasingly common gaffe also appears in the first linked article in today's newsletter.

OK, English major off, and thanks again.
Steve Jones
Steve Jones
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (83K reputation)SSC Guru (83K reputation)SSC Guru (83K reputation)SSC Guru (83K reputation)SSC Guru (83K reputation)SSC Guru (83K reputation)SSC Guru (83K reputation)SSC Guru (83K reputation)

Doh!, can't believe I didn't catch that. Fixed.

Solomon Rutzky
Solomon Rutzky
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)

I definitely agree that there are very valid occasions to use a NoSQL option as a solution and to rule them out entirely is just as silly as wanting to use them only because Google does.

At the same time, these are pretty funny:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2F-DItXtZs = Mongo DB Is Web Scale

http://howfuckedismydatabase.com/nosql/ = Querying NoSQL

SQL# - http://www.SQLsharp.com/
kevin77
kevin77
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)

I attended a user group meeting in which we had two speakers talk about and show some examples of both Cassandra and MongoDB. Let me tell you I was not impressed! I wouldn't touch that stuff with a 100 foot pole. The documentation is almost non-existent, it's hard to keep up with the revision changes and what seemingly basic features are in what version, and I just don't see the cost benefit in trying to use it.

I asked one of the speakers what the largest database and system he was using Cassandra for and he said that he hadn't even used it in a Production environment yet and that in the development environment it was just running a very small database (a few hundred megabytes) on a single server.

Oh, so add one more item to my list of complaints above. If you run into some problems, who's going to help you? Chances are, there won't be anyone else who has done what you're trying to do.

mtillman-921105
mtillman-921105
SSC Eights!
SSC Eights! (988 reputation)SSC Eights! (988 reputation)SSC Eights! (988 reputation)SSC Eights! (988 reputation)SSC Eights! (988 reputation)SSC Eights! (988 reputation)SSC Eights! (988 reputation)SSC Eights! (988 reputation)

The CAP was interesting, so all a good RDMS would have to do is make it partition tolerant and the NOSQL would become completely superfluous? 'I suppose that's easier said than done of course.

Mr or Mrs. 500
Mr or Mrs. 500 (590 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (590 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (590 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (590 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (590 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (590 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (590 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (590 reputation)

Isn't Voldemort evil? J.K. Rowling must be freelancing...and the MulletDB is hilarious!

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Remember as you walk down lifes road, don't forget to stop and pee on the bushes - Thordog

SQLRNNR
SQLRNNR
SSC-Forever
SSC-Forever (40K reputation)SSC-Forever (40K reputation)SSC-Forever (40K reputation)SSC-Forever (40K reputation)SSC-Forever (40K reputation)SSC-Forever (40K reputation)SSC-Forever (40K reputation)SSC-Forever (40K reputation)

I found the CAP diagram interesting and insightful for this NOSQL dilemma. Though I found it interesting that Oracle and MS were left off that list.

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
I have given a name to my pain...
MCM SQL Server, MVP

SQL RNNR

Posting Performance Based Questions - Gail Shaw

Steve Jones
Steve Jones
SSC Guru

The author is an open source person, so I'm not surprised that Oracle/SQL Server aren't on there. I assume they qualify as RDBMSes, just like MySQL Cool

Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.