A couple of days ago I noticed that the index rebuild for the search engine was failing at night. In line with that, a few people reported getting some errors about the engine running out of memory when searching for things. As usual, I could not duplicate their results, but I decided I needed a reboot anyway.
So I planned on doing one Tuesday night after my meeting for our neighborhood's architectural committee.
So I planned on Wed. after my board meeting.
Then today I noticed that one of the message jobs that unsubscribes
people had failed. So I tried to run it and got a memory error,
actually a Windows error that some collection in DMO could not be
filled. So I decided not to chance my failing memory again and rebooted
around 9:45am MST this morning. Everything went well, which was good
since I had a 10:00 appt with a friend
Now everything appears to be running fine. The database server has been
live for months, but I'm a little worried now that there is some leak
in the search engine. It's been getting hit hard lately.
Steve Jones is the editor of SQLServerCentral.com and visits a wide variety of data related topics in his daily editorial. Steve has spent years working as a DBA and general purpose Windows administrator, primarily working with SQL Server since it was ported from Sybase in 1990. You can follow Steve on Twitter at twitter.com/way0utwest