Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12345»»»

Developers and DBAs Expand / Collapse
Author

SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Friday, August 8, 2014 3:25 AM
hi colin - wonder which company that was??? sounds like the one we've both contracted at ???

MVDBA
Post #327794
Posted Tuesday, December 5, 2006 6:22 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Friday, June 12, 2009 7:37 AM

In your situation, it sounds to me like management really meant, "that sounds like a great idea, but I have no idea what you are talking about".  It are those situations that are really frustrating, when you have a sound solution to a problem, you pitch the solution, but have to pitch it to someone who really doesn't know what they are doing.

Post #327800
Posted Tuesday, December 5, 2006 6:56 AM
Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Thursday, August 21, 2014 12:08 PM
everyone knows that all developers are evil

I think it's more of the same MS battle beween the GUI and the command prompt/scripting. Back in my MS Exchange/AD days I knew the GUI and didn't know too much about the guts of the system which is a mystery to most people anyway.

When I started with SQL almost a year ago I told myself I'm going to be a scripting guy. I still use the GUI for some easy tasks, and too much I think. Most things I'm learning to write my own SQL code to do.

I think that too many people who work with MS software never get past the GUI and because of this don't learn enough about the product. And every new release MS encourages this with new wizards and whatever to make things easier.

https://plus.google.com/100125998302068852885/posts?hl=en
http://twitter.com/alent1234
x-box live gamertag: i am null
[url=http://live.xbox.com/en-US/MyXbox/Profile[/url]
Post #327826
Posted Tuesday, December 5, 2006 7:11 AM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Tuesday, August 12, 2014 12:53 PM

Janet,

It sounds to me like you are better off for moving on.  From what you described, my perception of the problem is somebody was threatened by your abilities.  It's sad that people can't get over the fact there are other people that have more skills and are better at one thing or another.  They would be so much better off in the long run if they looked at that situation as an opportunity to learn and get better rather than be afraid of being looked at as not being able to do something as well as someone else.

In the big picture, are technical skills really what define us as a person?  I think not.

Post #327830
Posted Tuesday, December 5, 2006 7:15 AM

SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Last Login: Monday, October 21, 2013 10:48 AM

"I opened a DTS package; it transferred five tables from one database of one server to another database of another server. Well, how many connections would you create? Two right? I saw TEN connections - two for each table. The most amazing thing was the DTS package was written by a DBA who claimed to have over 10 years' experiences. "

Actually, with only two connections, the table population would have to go one at a time (table1, then table2, then table3, ...). With one set of connections (source and destination) for each table, they can run in parallel (If memory serves, the default is 4 parallel processes at a time. This would mean a faster executing package.

Maybe you should have asked the DBAs for the reason behind their design... 

Post #327836
Posted Tuesday, December 5, 2006 7:27 AM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Thursday, December 7, 2006 11:09 AM

I can relate. I was in a situation where I felt that if I did better, it was resented. But if I slacked off, I resented myself. I left the job, then came back, had lots of ups and downs, but stuck with it while I finished a degree and paid off our house.

Now, 7 years later and looking back, I realize that I took work way too seriously. People will do what they want to do, and management listens with one ear to the technical advice and the other ear to the politics. That's reality. Probably better in some environments than others. But, for me, the answer has been to keep coming in every day, decide for myself what I was willing to do, and collect my paycheck. My reward has been the respect and praise of the business people I work with. Now, after a few years of this, I'm finally retiring (at 30) to pursue other hobbies and interests.

The motto? Decide who you want to be and where you want to go long term. Then, determine if your work fits into that plan. If it does, then stick with it. If not, then make changes to align your life with your values. I know it's easier said than done, but it is doable.

Best of luck to you. Hope things are going well now.

Ron

Post #327846
Posted Tuesday, December 5, 2006 7:29 AM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Thursday, July 17, 2014 7:55 AM

First, I would like to thank Clarold Britton to edit this article for me since I am still struggling my 'Chinlish' - English grammar.

I am working in a different company now but I find out everywhere is the same.  

I just read a book, it said the working environment and culture had changed since the last twenty years.  Mostly because of company downsizing, bad economy, people are worried about their job security.  At the same company I was learning Actuate report, I asked a developer about the actuate report adminstrator and how it worked, he actually said  'No'.  If I want to learn, I will have another way to learn.  That guy obviously had no confidence in himself.  He worried if he showed it to me, his job would be threatened.   I actually felt bad for him.

Trust and loyalty is no longer existed.  Unfornately trust and loyality is basic to all business success.  People become skeptical, supicious and cynical because they worry if they still have a job the next day.

my 2 cents.

Post #327847
Posted Tuesday, December 5, 2006 7:33 AM

SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Last Login: Monday, October 21, 2013 10:48 AM

It sounds like a depressing place to work, but I'd be interested to hear the other side of the story.

The article heading mentioned "DBA Janet Wong brings us one of her experiences about how you can better go with the flow.
" but the article seems like a gripe session with no pointers on how to "go with the flow", only complaints.

Post #327848
Posted Tuesday, December 5, 2006 7:48 AM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Today @ 11:49 AM

These are some suggestions on how to better manager your working relationships. First, may I recommend in the future that when you have suggestions you do not put anyone (especially a supervisor) in a spot of embarrassment? To suggest a way to do something more efficiently is good. To do it at the expense of making someone else look incompetent is not.

Second, if you want to be efficiently productive and get along with your co-workers, then show them the respect that you want by being discrete and modest in your opinions. Is your goal to be a hero by showing off your talents or to accomplish your goals?

Third, stay in your lane of responsibility. When we stray out of lane of responsibility is easy to get caught up in the office politics.

I hope this advice is well taken. Best regards.

FYI...I too am a worker bee and not a manager.

Post #327857
Posted Tuesday, December 5, 2006 7:57 AM
Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Last Login: Wednesday, August 27, 2014 8:15 AM
Your post sounds too much like judge the message by the messenger.  One needs to do their job to the best of their abilities.  Also stakeholder analysis comes in to play.  As an employee you have a duty to see that things go as well as possible.  If people can't handle the feedback to improve then discussions need to start.  If it turns out that what you have to contribute is not appreciated then it is time to move on.  Nobody spends an entire career at an employeer and if you are not developing and or appreciated you have to go because nobody else is investing in you accept yourself.
Post #327865
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12345»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse