Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.
 
Log in  ::  Register  ::  Not logged in
 
 
 

The Voice of the DBA

Steve Jones is the editor of SQLServerCentral.com and visits a wide variety of data related topics in his daily editorial. Steve has spent years working as a DBA and general purpose Windows administrator, primarily working with SQL Server since it was ported from Sybase in 1990. You can follow Steve on Twitter at twitter.com/way0utwest

Exploring a Database in Azure

After creating my Azure account, I wasn’t sure where to go next. Fortunately I had an immediate project that occupied my attention: a public Adventureworks database.

As we noted, Red Gate and SQLServerCentral agreed to host the database and cover costs. Once Jamie Thomson transferred the database to my subscription, which didn’t seem too hard, although slightly confusing, it showed up in my list of objects.

azure_i

I drilled down to the sql databases to ensure this was the only object there, and it was.

azure_j

I wasn’t sure what I could do, so I clicked on the database. I do tend to be an RTFM guy at the beginning, but I was curious how easy they’ve made things. This is what I saw:

azure_k

It’s a good list of things, although since I have SSDT installed, I didn’t need the first item. I guess if you have SSDT installed you would know it, and the link is handy. The interesting thing for me was the “Server” string at the bottom of the panel.

I wonder if it works.

Jamie had given me the admin name and password, and I plugged this into Management Studio, along with the connection string.

azure_l

Sure enough, it connected, and changing to the AdventureWorks2012 database, I could query the objects.

azure_m

I decided to test Object Explorer as well, and that was interesting. I had a very cut down version of what I normally see for a SQL Server instance.

azure_n

Most of the “instance” level stuff was gone. I could see the master database, and my own database, but no others.

Since this was a new instance, one of the first things I decided to do was create my own login account. I right clicked “Logins” and selected “New Login”. I go this:

azure_o

A template for a script. That’s interesting. No GUI version of the login creation dialog. I used CTRL+Shift+M to fill in the template stuff.

azure_p

That’s not my password, but I did choose a nice, long one. I executed the script to create a login and then went to add a user. Once again, I got a script from the GUI.

azure_q

I changed this and created my user to map to my login.

This let me log into the system, and set myself as a db_owner. However I wasn’t an administrator. That’s for another post.


Filed under: Blog Tagged: Azure, sql server, syndicated

Comments

Leave a comment on the original post [voiceofthedba.wordpress.com, opens in a new window]

Loading comments...