The Voice of the DBA

Steve Jones is the editor of SQLServerCentral.com and visits a wide variety of data related topics in his daily editorial. Steve has spent years working as a DBA and general purpose Windows administrator, primarily working with SQL Server since it was ported from Sybase in 1990. You can follow Steve on Twitter at twitter.com/way0utwest

Grinding

I've been amazed at the amount of content that I am getting at SQLServerCentral. So far, in 2009, I've received over 70 articles, usually at the rate of 10-12 a week. Granted some of these are resubmits based on comments I've made, but that's a lot of content.

I used to worry about getting enough content, and that's one reason we re-run things on Friday. However it's getting to the point where I can almost run 2 a day, and I might do that one some days, especially Fridays, going with one old and new.

I welcome the submissions and I'd like to help people get published, but I'm failing miserably on my goal of getting to articles within 7 days. Right now I'm struggling with 14.

Comments

Posted by Jeffrey Yao on 21 March 2009

I think it will be good to read new stuff every day on SSC, and this can be considered as an unique SSC feature that will distingusih it from other SQL Server community websites. Another possible feature I'd like to see is that SSC, from time to time, can publish articles based on a specific theme, let's say "Reporting Service Topic week", "Career Development Topic week" etc, and papers can be solicted from the SSC community with publishing plans announced a few months ahead of the schedule.

Posted by Steve Jones on 22 March 2009

Jeffrey,

Not a bad idea. We used to theme days, but we found that people would ignore days when they weren't interested.

We might do a week. I do those on editorials sometimes, but perhaps a week of SSRS would be good (and other topics).

Posted by matt stockham on 23 March 2009

I seem to remember you mentioning a pool of reviewers that could take an advance look at articles with regard to grammar, readability, technical accuracy etc.  Did this ever go anywhere?  I'm sure there are plenty of people ready to take some of the load off your shoulders.

The other aspect I wonder about is how many of these submissions are duplicating on topics?  Writing an article is something that interests me but I'd hate to spend the time/effort only to find that an MVP-written article is published the day after I send it in.

Posted by Steve Jones on 23 March 2009

No good way to send off articles to people. That's an enhancement I'd like, but it's low on the list.

We, surprisingly, don't get too many duplicate articles. However that's not a good reason to not send one in. Each person has their own voice, and they reach different people with their writing. People don't look at the newsletter every day, might be too busy, etc. We have 4 or 5 articles on moving databases here, and all have done well. Each of the t-log articles we've run in the last 6 months has gotten a fair share of readership as well.

Posted by Roy Ernest on 25 March 2009

And to increase your load, I have submitted one as well... I like to keep you busy. :-D So have fun with mine.... I would not be surprised if it was rejected because I think it has been extensively covered by lots of articles.

Posted by Phil Factor on 3 April 2009

It is a strange thing about articles that I've noticed. (I'm talking more about Simple-Talk than SSC, of course). If they are written with a genuine enthusiasm and are shown to be relevant and practical, they'll do well; they'll be popular. I'm less worried about the actual quality of the English as long as the 'fizz' comes across. One can help with the English, but if an articla hasn't got 'fizz' then it needs to go straight into the waterbutt, as it will never get better however hard one edits it.

If you've got a good idea, or a real enthusiasm, Go for it. Fizz is marketable.