In my new, free eBook, Brad’s Sure Guide to SQL Server Maintenance Plans, I focused on what I considered are the minimum database maintenance tasks that every DBA should be performing on their databases. These include:
- Backup system and production databases
- Verify the integrity of all system and production databases
- Maintain all production database indexes
- Maintain all index and column statistics for all production databases
- Remove old, historical data from the msdb database
- Remove old backups
As you read this list, you may be thinking to yourself, there are a lot of database maintenance tasks that I left off the list. If that is what you are thinking, then I agree with you. This book was targeted towards part-time and novice DBAs, and my goal was to cover the essentials only.
Of course, there are many other tasks that the proactive DBA can take to ensure that their databases are running optimally. So my question is to you is: What other tasks do you perform on your databases that you consider to fall into the realm of database maintenance?
Brad M McGehee