Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase «««4,1374,1384,1394,1404,141»»»

Are the posted questions getting worse? Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Monday, September 23, 2013 10:08 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Yesterday @ 7:56 PM
dwain.c (9/23/2013)
I'm more interested in the specs on your rail gun pork chop launcher.

BWAA-HAAA!!!! Sorry... that would be proprietary information. So are the Nitrogen tri-Iodide powered Pixie Sticks.

Say... you don't happen to know what the coeffecient of drag would be on a 2" diameter, 4 inch long, slighly rounded-at-the-ends Russet spud slug would be do ya?

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Post #1497640
Posted Tuesday, September 24, 2013 2:43 AM
SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Last Login: Yesterday @ 10:27 AM
Jeff Moden (9/23/2013)One of these days, I'm going to sit down and calculate the muzzle velocity on that bad boy.

Well, ignoring air resistance you'd be talking something like 150mph...
Post #1497709
Posted Tuesday, September 24, 2013 6:11 AM

Say Hey Kid

Say Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey Kid

Last Login: Yesterday @ 6:32 AM
Jeff Moden (9/23/2013)
dwain.c (9/23/2013)
[quote]Grant Fritchey (9/23/2013)
Careful there! NSA monitoring in progress.

Raccoons knocked it off the shelf in the garage in the dead of winter and the PVC tubing just shattered when it hit the cement floor.

Good thing you never loaded a frozen pork chop in there!!!

Ever watch the pumpkins fly?
Must be an art to picking one that will take the initial burst of acceleration.
Post #1497792
Posted Tuesday, September 24, 2013 6:58 AM
SSCarpal Tunnel

SSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal Tunnel

Last Login: Yesterday @ 12:24 PM
Jeff Moden (9/23/2013)
dwain.c (9/23/2013)

Thank goodness for that. Someone has to keep us ol' submarine sailors from having too much fun. I figure I was pushing the edge a bit with my 8 foot long potato cannon... 5 foot long 2 inch dia barrel... 3 foot long 6 inch dia combustion chamber... electronically fired by a pushbutton. 14 seconds hang time on the potato when shot straight up and I was only using 2 squirts of Napthalene (Lighter fluid). Had a really nice report and looked cool as all getout at night. One of these days, I'm going to sit down and calculate the muzzle velocity on that bad boy.

Raccoons knocked it off the shelf in the garage in the dead of winter and the PVC tubing just shattered when it hit the cement floor.

The next one is going to have a shoulder mount and a handle like a bazooka along with an atomizer, an O2 charging hose (so I don't have to manually ventilate it between shots), and a ball valve as a side/breech loader so I don't have to muzzle load it (although that did provide some extra compression when the tater was tight fitting). Heh... did I mention it would also have 4 foot long 8 inch diameter combustion chamber and a 10 ft barrel? I'm thinking about going into business delivering fast food to the space station. If I put some 1/4" hardware cloth over the muzzle, maybe I can specialize in French Fries.

Of course, we'll be firing that bad boy remotely the first dozen or so times.

You'd better fire it remotely at first! Then check the components to make sure nothing cracked or broke.

You know, those are some pretty impressive stats for a spud gun, especially the 14 seconds. I'd be careful when seeking revenge on the critters in the garage, though. If you use that it sounds like your next project will be repairing the hole in the garage wall before more critters get in.

I'm sure you already thought about this for your new design, but if you have a 4 foot by 8 inch combustion chamber and a 10 foot barrel, you're talking about a significant amount of weight that you want to put on your shoulder. You're going to have to consider balance and how the weight is distributed. The weight will help with kick, but that will depend a lot on your charge.

I had tossed around the idea in my head about a barrel that's open in the rear, but that would probably require a self-propelled potato, which I've personally never seen.

Your project sounds like a ridiculous amount of fun.

Tally Tables - Performance Personified
String Splitting with True Performance
Best practices on how to ask questions
Post #1497824
Posted Tuesday, September 24, 2013 7:22 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Tuesday, October 28, 2014 12:50 PM
Ed Wagner (9/24/2013)

<snipped>

I had tossed around the idea in my head about a barrel that's open in the rear, but that would probably require a self-propelled potato, which I've personally never seen.

Your project sounds like a ridiculous amount of fun.

A recoilless potato rifle??? That would be AWESOME!!!

Jason Wolfkill
Blog: SQLSouth
Twitter: @SQLSouth
Post #1497844
Posted Tuesday, September 24, 2013 7:41 AM
SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Last Login: Yesterday @ 2:34 PM
Greg Edwards-268690 (9/24/2013)
Jeff Moden (9/23/2013)
dwain.c (9/23/2013)

Good thing you never loaded a frozen pork chop in there!!!

Ever watch the pumpkins fly?
Must be an art to picking one that will take the initial burst of acceleration.

If all you were interested in was the launch, you could always cheat and spray it with an acrylic sealant before launch.

--------------------------------------
When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.
--------------------------------------
It’s unpleasantly like being drunk.
What’s so unpleasant about being drunk?
You ask a glass of water. -- Douglas Adams
Post #1497854
Posted Tuesday, September 24, 2013 7:51 AM
SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Last Login: Yesterday @ 10:27 AM
wolfkillj (9/24/2013)

How expensive would the Gyrojet spuds be, though?
Post #1497864
Posted Tuesday, September 24, 2013 8:47 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Tuesday, October 28, 2014 12:50 PM
paul.knibbs (9/24/2013)
wolfkillj (9/24/2013)

I'm thinking a model rocket motor embedded in a potato specially carved for aerodynamics and fitted with deployable fins. Yes, the projectiles get more costly, but that's the tradeoff when you're looking for high-caliber, man-portable potato ordnance.

Jason Wolfkill
Blog: SQLSouth
Twitter: @SQLSouth
Post #1497922
Posted Tuesday, September 24, 2013 9:21 AM
SSCarpal Tunnel

SSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal Tunnel

Last Login: Yesterday @ 12:24 PM
wolfkillj (9/24/2013)
paul.knibbs (9/24/2013)
wolfkillj (9/24/2013)

I'm thinking a model rocket motor embedded in a potato specially carved for aerodynamics and fitted with deployable fins. Yes, the projectiles get more costly, but that's the tradeoff when you're looking for high-caliber, man-portable potato ordnance.

You know, the M72 LAW (Light Anti-tank Weapon) fires a 66mm rocket and has nearly zero recoil. However, it does require a fuel source we might not have access to as civilians. It sure would be fun, though!

Tally Tables - Performance Personified
String Splitting with True Performance
Best practices on how to ask questions
Post #1497942
Posted Tuesday, September 24, 2013 3:33 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Last Login: Yesterday @ 7:56 PM
paul.knibbs (9/24/2013)
Jeff Moden (9/23/2013)One of these days, I'm going to sit down and calculate the muzzle velocity on that bad boy.

Well, ignoring air resistance you'd be talking something like 150mph...
That's about what I came up with using 32.2ft/sec/sec... ~153 MPH.

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Post #1498060
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase «««4,1374,1384,1394,1404,141»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse