Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««123»»

LEFT JOIN vs EXCEPT Expand / Collapse
Author
SSC-Addicted

SSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-Addicted

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Wednesday, October 8, 2014 8:52 AM
don't forget that except implicitly compares every column, not just keys. so it can be used in situations where a not exists or not in or outer join wouldn't be appropriate or practical. (would you really want to code a join between tables with 120 columns?)
Post #544380
Posted Friday, August 1, 2008 7:28 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Monday, December 8, 2014 6:44 AM
rbarryyoung (7/30/2008)
jcrawf02 (7/30/2008)
So, for someone who is using 2000 still, but looking forward to 2005, EXCEPT will let me intersect the two sets, and give me the results that are not overlapping, correct?

Well technically, no. What you describe is the Exclusive Union, or Disjoint Union (which is the Set equivalent of XOR in logic) which in SQL Server could be expressed as:
(A UNION B) EXCEPT (A INTERSECT B)

EXCEPT (which used to be called "MINUS" in some old implementations of SQL) is more like a subtraction operator. It returns only the (distinct) elements of the first set that are not in the second set. In logical operators, EXCEPT would be:
A AND (NOT B)

Of course that may be what you actually meant, but the details really matter when it comes to logic and set theory descriptions.

That is what I actually meant, thanks, and I don't know that I really understand what I meant now, so until I do some more reading, I don't think I'll be using it. ;) Thanks for the info!

By the way, it's very big of you to contribute to the same thread as Jeff, when he's obviously anti-RBARry, but just can't spell your name . . .

---------------------------------------------------------
How best to post your question
How to post performance problems
Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."
Post #545115
Posted Friday, August 1, 2008 8:03 AM

SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Last Login: Wednesday, February 24, 2010 4:10 AM
Jeff,

How would you best two queries to see which is performing better?

thanks
Chris

----------------------------------------------
Try to learn something about everything and everything about something. - Thomas Henry Huxley

Posting Best Practices
Numbers / Tally Tables

SQL-4-Life
Post #545151
Posted Friday, August 1, 2008 9:12 AM

SSCrazy Eights

SSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy Eights

Last Login: Thursday, December 4, 2014 7:52 AM
jcrawf02 (8/1/2008)
By the way, it's very big of you to contribute to the same thread as Jeff, when he's obviously anti-RBARry, but just can't spell your name . . .

Heh, you don't know the half of it. Check out this post and the thread that follows: http://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/FindPost502435.aspx :D

-- RBarryYoung, (302)375-0451 blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung
Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
"Performance is our middle name."
Post #545231
Posted Friday, August 1, 2008 6:09 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 7:27 AM
rbarryyoung (8/1/2008)
jcrawf02 (8/1/2008)

Heh, you don't know the half of it. Check out this post and the thread that follows: http://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/FindPost502435.aspx :D

THAT was a lot of fun! Barry is a heck of a good sport!

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
Post #545550
Posted Friday, August 1, 2008 6:14 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Christopher Stobbs (8/1/2008)
Jeff,

How would you best two queries to see which is performing better?

thanks
Chris

One way is already demonstrated in the code I posted previously in this thread. Another way is to set up Profiler for the SPID I'm using to test through and have each code snippet separated from the other using GO.

Of course, you can't test something for performance unless you have lot's of data, so I use a "standard" test table for certain things. The code to generate the "standard" test table can be easily modified to suit a wide variety of requirements. The code generator is based on the same principle as the code I use to very quickly generate a Tally table. Here it is...

DROP TABLE JBMTest
GO
--===== Create and populate a 1,000,000 row test table.
-- Column "RowNum" has a range of 1 to 1,000,000 unique numbers
-- Column "SomeInt" has a range of 1 to 50,000 non-unique numbers
-- Column "SomeLetters2" has a range of "AA" to "ZZ" non-unique 2 character strings
-- Column "SomeMoney has a range of 0.0000 to 99.9999 non-unique numbers
-- Column "SomeDate" has a range of >=01/01/2000 and <01/01/2010 non-unique date/times
-- Column "SomeCSV" contains 'Part01,Part02,Part03,Part04,Part05,Part06,Part07,Part08,Part09,Part10'
-- for all rows.
-- Column "SomeHex12" contains 12 random hex characters (ie, 0-9,A-F)
-- Jeff Moden

SELECT TOP 1000000
RowNum = IDENTITY(INT,1,1),
SomeInt = ABS(CHECKSUM(NEWID()))%50000+1,
SomeLetters2 = CHAR(ABS(CHECKSUM(NEWID()))%26+65)
+ CHAR(ABS(CHECKSUM(NEWID()))%26+65),
SomeCSV = CAST('Part01,Part02,Part03,Part04,Part05,Part06,Part07,Part08,Part09,Part10' AS VARCHAR(80)),
SomeMoney = CAST(ABS(CHECKSUM(NEWID()))%10000 /100.0 AS MONEY),
SomeDate = CAST(RAND(CHECKSUM(NEWID()))*3653.0+36524.0 AS DATETIME),
SomeHex12 = RIGHT(NEWID(),12)
INTO dbo.JBMTest
FROM Master.dbo.SysColumns t1,
Master.dbo.SysColumns t2 --Lack of join criteria makes this a CROSS-JOIN

--===== A table is not properly formed unless a Primary Key has been assigned
-- Takes about 1 second to execute.
ALTER TABLE dbo.JBMTest
ADD PRIMARY KEY CLUSTERED (RowNum)

--Jeff Moden

Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
Post #545553
Posted Saturday, August 2, 2008 10:58 AM

SSCrazy Eights

SSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy Eights

Last Login: Thursday, December 4, 2014 7:52 AM
Jeff Moden (8/1/2008)
THAT was a lot of fun! Barry is a heck of a good sport!

Likewise, Jeff!

-- RBarryYoung, (302)375-0451 blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung
Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
"Performance is our middle name."
Post #545661
Posted Saturday, August 2, 2008 3:20 PM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Wednesday, December 17, 2014 9:58 AM
It is interesting that the result of EXCEPT may be different than a NOT EXISTS.
EXCEPT considers NULLS to equal but NOT EXISTS considers NULLS to be unequal. Here is a reproduction:

After populating JBMTest per the provide SQL, add some additional rows with null.
INSERT INTO dbo.JBMTest
(SomeLetters2)
SELECT TOP 1000
CHAR(ABS(CHECKSUM(NEWID()))%26+65) + CHAR(ABS(CHECKSUM(NEWID()))%26+65)
FROM Master.dbo.SysColumns t1,
Master.dbo.SysColumns t2

EXCEPT returns zero rows:
select *
from dbo.JBMTest
except
select *
from dbo.JBMTest

NOT EXISTS returns all of the rows with NULLs
select *
from dbo.JBMTest as T1
where NOT EXISTS
(select 1
from dbo.JBMTest as T2
where T2.RowNum = T1.RowNum
and T2.SomeInt = T1.SomeInt
and T2.SomeCSV = T1.SomeCSV
and T2.SomeMoney = T1.SomeMoney
and T2.SomeDate = T1.SomeDate
and T2.SomeHex12 = T1.SomeHex12
)

SQL = Scarcely Qualifies as a Language
Post #545706
Posted Sunday, August 3, 2008 9:28 AM

SSC-Dedicated

Good point, Carl. Thanks.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:
Post #545782
Posted Monday, August 4, 2008 12:07 AM
SSC Journeyman

SSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC Journeyman

Last Login: Saturday, July 5, 2014 7:04 PM
I'd like to add something here... I think a few people have touched on it, but it's pretty important.

If you are pulling out a very small amount of records, say, just one or two, then using Except would probably be the better way to go, if you can filter to this level in the except part of your clause.

If you are, however, pulling out a rather large set of data, the left outer joins will be the better choice.

At least, that's what I generally find with nested queries rather than joined queries.

If you can filter down to only a few records early in the game, then nesting is good. Otherwise, it makes your DB take too much of a time hit to query all the records twice, rather than things like hash matches.
Post #545892
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««123»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse