Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 1234»»»

PromptSQL Expand / Collapse
Author

Keeper of the Duck

Keeper of the Duck

Group: Moderators
Last Login: Thursday, July 10, 2014 1:34 PM
Comments posted to this topic are about the content posted at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/bkelley/promptsql.asp

K. Brian Kelley, CISA, MCSE, Security+, MVP - SQL Server
Regular Columnist (Security), SQLServerCentral.com
Author of Introduction to SQL Server: Basic Skills for Any SQL Server User
| Professional Development blog | Technical Blog | LinkedIn | Twitter
Post #247737
Posted Wednesday, January 18, 2006 3:45 AM
Mr or Mrs. 500

Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Wednesday, May 22, 2013 10:04 AM

A great article, I was really looking forward to intellisense being available in sql 2005 until they decided to drop it.

I can see this being a useful in our environment and should make my life a little easier

Post #251574
Posted Wednesday, January 18, 2006 6:00 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Monday, May 26, 2008 5:09 AM
Shit doesnt work!!!!!!!!
Post #251612
Posted Wednesday, January 18, 2006 6:43 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Thursday, June 5, 2014 9:10 AM
PromptSQL looks like a slick little Intellisense program. For $25, it's a great deal if Intellisense is the *only* feature you're looking for. I have to plug ApexSQL's Edit program, though. It has Intellisense and *so* much more.
Post #251619
Posted Wednesday, January 18, 2006 6:45 AM
SSC Journeyman

SSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC Journeyman

Last Login: Tuesday, October 9, 2012 5:54 PM
I couldn't get it to popup consistently. Has anyone that has tried the product with mixed results been able to fix that?
Post #251621
Posted Wednesday, January 18, 2006 6:46 AM
SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Last Login: Tuesday, July 22, 2014 3:47 PM
I beta-tested the app and bought it almost as soon as the buy link was available. It worked great for me under Query Analyzer, SSMS beta and SSMS release. I don't use VS much for SQL, so can't really comment on that. I did notice the SQL Login prompt a couple of times, but mostly if I had network trouble (or in one instance had to alias my machine).

The programmer was always very quick to respond to my suggestions and requests for help. I'd recommend contacting him with details of your problem if you're having trouble. Be sure to capture a log first - that's not enabled by default.

Atadore's running a list of suggestions/bug fixes on his site as well. You can suggest new features or check on the status of existing requests to see if they will be in the next version. He's implemented several of the ideas already. I also find it cool that he's not a SQL Server guy. He's a programmer who saw this opportunity and developed the idea.

Only change I'm waiting for now is a minor tweak that will display columns when you expand something in the actual column order. Atadore has a minor bug in 1.2 that sorts columns treating the order as a character instead of an int. He wrote back and explained that it was missed in testing, but fixed for the next release.

For the $25 this cost, it was well worth it. Here's hoping that he doesn't get snatched up by some large company that will boost the license cost through the roof.

Post #251623
Posted Wednesday, January 18, 2006 6:59 AM

Keeper of the Duck

Keeper of the Duck

You may have to adjust the sensitivity on how quickly it displays. The default setting for the pop-up boxes and tool tips is 400 ms. Some people want it to pop-up immediately and you can do so by reducing the number for the delays.

Post #251628
Posted Wednesday, January 18, 2006 7:02 AM

Keeper of the Duck

Keeper of the Duck

Aye, I love Apex SQL's Edit program as well. However, PromptSQL fits a nice niche: want IntelliSense but without the expenditure of cost for another environment? PromptSQL takes care of it. This works out well, too, if you don't want to switch because of personal preference to the Microsoft provided tools. Some people just prefer those tools to any others but would like IntelliSense.

Post #251629
Posted Wednesday, January 18, 2006 7:03 AM

Keeper of the Duck

Keeper of the Duck

Instead of posting comments like this, can you explain some of your issues with the product? For folks trying to make a decision on whether or not to plunk down some money, this kind of comment doesn't offer them any additional information one way or the other.

Post #251630
Posted Wednesday, January 18, 2006 8:07 AM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Thursday, October 16, 2008 10:10 AM
I've looked at a number of SQL Intellisense programs and chose "SQL Assist" based on two features - templates and sql formatting. Their Templates are extremely powerful and configurable. SQL formatting is very good and is useful when I post some long query that I get from Profiler.

Down side: It runs only on Visual Studio for the moment.

P Barbin

Post #251670
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 1234»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse