Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 12»»

Infect Your Colleagues with the Learning Bug Expand / Collapse
Author
SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Group: Moderators
Last Login: Today @ 12:08 PM
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Infect Your Colleagues with the Learning Bug

Andy
SQLAndy - My Blog!
Connect with me on LinkedIn
Follow me on Twitter
Post #1591937
Posted Monday, July 14, 2014 6:41 AM
Say Hey Kid

Say Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey Kid

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Yesterday @ 11:46 AM
You can lead the horse to water, but most of the horses are happier grazing in the pasture with the sheep...
Post #1592159
Posted Monday, July 14, 2014 8:02 AM

SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Today @ 4:50 PM
Man, I like what you said here, Andy. +1, up arrow, Like, etc.!!

Rod
Post #1592189
Posted Monday, July 14, 2014 8:05 AM
SSC-Addicted

SSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-Addicted

Last Login: Yesterday @ 5:24 AM
I agree. I've worked with people who seem to be quite happy to be stuck as "expert beginners", doing the same few things, year in, year out. They do those few things really well, but they don't really seem to learn anything new, and they don't seem to want to. I think they must be lacking the healthy dose of fear that the rest of us have!
Post #1592191
Posted Monday, July 14, 2014 10:06 AM

SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Today @ 8:51 AM
I've never thought of sharing articles as encouraging someone else to learn more, but now I have, I feel tricked! Years ago someone did exactly that to me - forwarding me relevant articles, etc. And, not wanting to get left behind, I subscribed to the same emails/feeds & started reading and learning more.

Leonard
Madison, WI
Post #1592244
Posted Monday, July 14, 2014 12:27 PM
SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Leonard, for once a "trick" worked out to be a good thing!

Andy
SQLAndy - My Blog!
Follow me on Twitter
Post #1592300
Posted Monday, July 14, 2014 3:57 PM

SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Thursday, October 16, 2014 2:12 PM
Nice Read, thanks Andy.

Mohammed Moinudheen
Post #1592371
Posted Tuesday, July 15, 2014 5:39 AM
SSCarpal Tunnel

SSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal Tunnel

Last Login: Today @ 11:54 AM
Nice topic, Andy. Once people become infected with the desire to learn, things tend to get better. Until then, they move slowly.

Tally Tables - Performance Personified
String Splitting with True Performance
Best practices on how to ask questions
Post #1592515
Posted Tuesday, July 15, 2014 6:56 AM
SSCertifiable

Ed, I remain convinced that most people choose to not learn/invest because they so fear "wasting" effort. All it takes it time spent learning one thing that is never used, or one feature that is deprecated (Notification Services) and the lesson they learn is "learn when required only". It takes some experience and perhaps a little faith to invest knowing that you can't quantify the value and may not be able to measure the return.

Andy
SQLAndy - My Blog!
Follow me on Twitter
Post #1592538
Posted Tuesday, July 15, 2014 5:29 PM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Yesterday @ 11:01 AM
Investing in yourself is one of the better things you can do. It really builds on the successes of today and might help you reach a better tomorrow. When one learns that maintaining the status quo is always going backwards, you automatically see the need to strive to learn and do better.

If failure is not a option, then learning and increasing your skills and understanding is the only way forward.

Great read and thank you!

M...

Not all gray hairs are Dinosaurs!
Post #1592859
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 12»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse