Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««1234»»»

Using Dual Monitors vs Single Large Monitor Expand / Collapse
Author

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Saturday, August 30, 2014 5:24 PM
jasona.work (5/9/2014)
An advantage I can think of to using two (or more) individual monitors over one large one is, if you maximize a window in a dual monitor setup, it stays on the monitor it was on, allowing you to easily maximize another window on the 2nd monitor.

With one big monitor, maximize a window and it covers everything...
Sure there are ways to work around that, but I think it's easier to just maximize...

BTW, 2x24" at work, and a 24" (1920x1200) and a 21" (1600x1200) at home

I use a single large monitor at home + an app called SplitView. Handles both concerns (i.e. I can maximize to the whole screen if desired or use either of two halves as maximize options as well).

Well worth the 30$.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?
Post #1569461
Posted Saturday, May 10, 2014 8:17 AM

SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Yesterday @ 10:57 PM
Any solutions on using a Laptop with a dual setup? I cant use a docking station. I would like to use two 24" monitors and keep the laptop lid closed. Would prefer they be fed off HDMI. Looked at HDMI splitters but couldn't find one that supported "Extended Mode".

***SQL born on date Spring 2013
Post #1569520
Posted Saturday, May 10, 2014 8:36 AM
SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Last Login: Today @ 3:27 AM
thomashohner (5/10/2014)
Any solutions on using a Laptop with a dual setup? I cant use a docking station. I would like to use two 24" monitors and keep the laptop lid closed. Would prefer they be fed off HDMI. Looked at HDMI splitters but couldn't find one that supported "Extended Mode".

Have. You tried Matrix Dualhead2Go?
Post #1569522
Posted Saturday, May 10, 2014 8:50 AM

SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Nice that's exactly what I was looking for

Now to find two quality monitors that wont break the bank. I have been looking at trying to get something with a thin bezel to make it look more seamless. Trying to find <200 bucks range.

Currently using Dell E2213h at work.

Post #1569525
Posted Sunday, May 11, 2014 11:55 AM

Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Last Login: Yesterday @ 9:04 PM
At the moment I've got dual 21, but wanting triple. Normally I got at least 3 rdp sessions to servers.
Post #1569645
Posted Sunday, May 11, 2014 3:43 PM

SSC-Enthusiastic

It would be cool to see pics of peoples rigs that they use

Post #1569653
Posted Monday, May 12, 2014 10:35 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Wednesday, August 27, 2014 2:03 PM
I'm remote so I have a 17" laptop that I've had extended onto a 24" in my home office. I'm about to purchase a 16" USB powered monitor as well so I can use both my desktop and laptop simultaneously with synergy. I hope it works.
Post #1569968
Posted Monday, May 12, 2014 10:46 AM
Right there with Babe

Right there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with Babe

Last Login: Friday, August 29, 2014 12:12 PM
matthew.f.unger (5/12/2014)
I'm remote so I have a 17" laptop that I've had extended onto a 24" in my home office. I'm about to purchase a 16" USB powered monitor as well so I can use both my desktop and laptop simultaneously with synergy. I hope it works.

I've used Synergy. It works fairly well, but I always had an issue with it when I tried to unlock my computers. Since both my desktop and and laptop are windows-based, I've switch to Mouse Without Borders. It has a few more features then Synergy, but you lose the cross-platform ability.

The opinions expressed herein are strictly personal and do not necessarily reflect the views or policies of my employer.
Post #1569973
Posted Monday, May 12, 2014 10:54 AM
Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Yesterday @ 5:36 AM
Love having 2 monitors. However, in my case, my company only provides 14" laptop which stinks. But I have a 27" second monitor. So yes, I love 2 monitors but hate the fact that they are two very different sizes. I can't believe in this day and age that a company does not get at least 17" laptops for peoples daily work. It is a proven fact that the bigger the monitor the better the productivity. And the question should also suggest is why is everyone at my company buying second monitors to begin with! By the end of the day my eyes get tired of switching from 14" to 27" and back again all day long.
Post #1569982
Posted Monday, May 12, 2014 11:08 AM

SSC-Enthusiastic

I have also been reading about portrait mode any one use this? Flip your monitor vertically for longer coding?

Post #1569991
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««1234»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse