Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««123»»

Disaster Recovery Week Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Thursday, December 13, 2012 9:19 PM

SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Monday, October 13, 2014 11:28 PM
dont you think DR plan is also part of business continuity? Which business will plan DR without considering business continuity

----------
Ashish
Post #1396468
Posted Friday, December 14, 2012 6:56 AM
Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Last Login: Tuesday, October 7, 2014 11:08 AM
DR + BCP = Success

Post #1396627
Posted Friday, December 14, 2012 7:19 AM
Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Last Login: Friday, January 3, 2014 8:39 AM
All businesses should plan for DR and BC, but the weekly topic is DR and this is all about BC. I would thing SQL Server Central would know the difference. Even Steve's original story to start it is BC.
Post #1396644
Posted Friday, December 14, 2012 8:32 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Today @ 7:24 AM
Which original story? Losing power in a data center? That's a DR, technology related issue.

Companies trying to be sure their data centers are running after hurricane Sandy, that's DR. There's a BC component to that, but the piece we are talking about here, with people working in technology, is the technology end of a disaster, which is usually known as DR.

If you want to be pedantic about it and dig into what is BC and what is DR, that's fine, but I think that's a bit of a waste of time.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #1396694
Posted Friday, December 14, 2012 8:43 AM
Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Right Sandy is DR. None of your stories are, no matter what scewy name you give someone that expects to read about DR when advertised Steve.
Post #1396702
Posted Friday, December 14, 2012 8:50 AM
Old Hand

So anyone else have experienced an actual DR? I would like to here more from them. What did they learn? That doesn't mean just like a Sandy situation but also like a server(s) have died for some reason, prolong power outage, A/C down, etc.

I've help out with DR in many situations that are not weather related. Even worked on a DR for a company that their building was damage from an earthquake. It didn't fall but no one was allowed in for months. That to me is also a DR situation.

Rudy

Post #1396709
Posted Friday, December 14, 2012 10:17 AM
Valued Member

My point exactly Rudy, I was excited to hear about DR, but instead it is BC and all of us can tell about servers and storage blowing up.
Post #1396743
Posted Friday, December 14, 2012 11:14 AM
Old Hand

Well, like I mentioned before it appears that lots of people for get about DR situations where you need to rebuild basically everything from scratch. I would be interesting to see a poll on how many people have bare metal build documentation and if it's up to date.

Rudy

Post #1396756
Posted Friday, December 14, 2012 11:14 AM

Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Thursday, January 3, 2013 8:12 AM
(grins a sly grin) By the way - there is one more part called "the application" I never restore them myself but I hear tell that a database with out web server, app server and such is not useful.
I disagree (smiles) I use the database all day long without every having to log in and use the app.

Seriously, (sigh) there is more to the system than just the database.
1) Web and app servers
2) AD servers for authentication. SA works fine for me but .....
3) Tape/Disk backup servers to backup my backups.
4) Routers, and other hardware.
5) Bathroom and vending machines. I've been surprised at how many DR discussions about DR sites never, *never* discuss security, bathrooms, vending machines or where we will live/stay. Some how everyone will go to the DR site and laundry, living, etc will just take care of itself.
Post #1396757
Posted Friday, December 14, 2012 11:21 AM
Old Hand

I agree but the app systems (web, routers, networking, apps, bathrooms) are not "really" the job of the DBA. If you are responsible for those things then you need to document that too.

Most companies have network teams, development teams, etc. that would manage those parts of the disaster. If your a DBA with those responibilities then I hope your well paid.

Rudy

Post #1396760
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««123»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse