Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««1234»»»

An interview with Jeff Moden: Exceptional DBA of 2011 and natural helper Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Wednesday, September 21, 2011 5:01 PM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Saturday, July 19, 2014 9:23 AM
Thumbs up from Curaçao
Post #1179107
Posted Wednesday, September 21, 2011 8:08 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Last Login: Today @ 4:29 PM
Anipaul (9/20/2011)
Great Jeff Great Talk!!! Thanks for all the help you provided to all of us!!!

We should also thank Rich Bay and your boss for the "accident", otherwise we may miss this great SQL UMBRELLA named Jeff Moden....

Thanks for the great feedback, Anipaul. The article on my interview has actually been cut back quite a bit... It's actually Rich Bay that I have to thank for my primordial anti-RBAR sentiment.

During the week that Rich was on-site and acting as an SQL Mentor to me when he had the time, I ran into a bit of a problem in SQL and originally resorted to trying to solve the problem with RBAR. Now, Rich had assigned chapters for me to study in the books we bought for my education on SQL Server. I didn't realize it at the time, but he'd intentionally left out the chapters on loops and cursors. Rich is a mild mannered gentleman, but when I asked Rich how I would assign a variable a value from a row so I could loop through the rows, he almost snarled while saying "For that you'd need a cursor... and if you ever write one for something like this, I'm all done teaching you."

Let's just say that particular lesson stuck like glue.

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Post #1179133
Posted Wednesday, September 21, 2011 8:21 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

sharath.chalamgari (9/21/2011)
Congrats Jeff, this will be really inspirational for other sql folks.

Thanks, Sharath. I really do hope this helps inspire others especially when it comes to sharing knowledge. I try to help because the "teacher" in me gets a great thrill to watch someone's "light" come on. What I didn't realize when I first started sharing info is how much good info comes back to you... there's always someone with a nifty trick that you might not have thought of. The "Tally Oh" and "Replace Multiple Spaces" articles are prime examples of where just such a thing happened. Just several hours after each article came out, someone either made an improvement that I'd not thought of or came up with an alternate method that was even better than the one I wrote about.

The old saying is "Nothing ventured, nothing gained." Believe it. Help others and you'll be amazed at how much knowledge people will share in return.

--Jeff Moden

Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
Post #1179135
Posted Wednesday, September 21, 2011 8:25 PM

SSC-Dedicated

opc.three (9/21/2011)
Congratulations Jeff, and Thank You for all you do

Thanks, Orlando. I've not forgotten the pair of articles you and I want to write together. It's going to be a whole lot of fun writing them. Now that SQLSaturday #84 has come and gone, I'm finishing up a couple of things I need to get done and then I'll start writing my half. I'll definitely be in touch.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:
Post #1179137
Posted Wednesday, September 21, 2011 8:31 PM

SSC-Dedicated

sql_lock (9/21/2011)
Simply, well deserved!!!

Thank you for the feedback. I aim to please. I sometimes miss, but I'm always aiming.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:
Post #1179140
Posted Wednesday, September 21, 2011 8:45 PM

SSC-Dedicated

Jim Murphy (9/21/2011)
Congratulations Jeff! Well deserved. Really.

I look forward to meeting you at The Summit in a few weeks!

I especially appreciate your spirit of giving. Let me tell you, as a full time consultant, many of my peers and companions are 'takers', always looking for a way to keep what they know to themselves to keep money coming in. The job security argument. I CAN'T STAND THAT! Teaching is giving and when done with a giving attitude (rather than a taking [of glory] attitude, it is a beautiful thing.

Please, keep it up as I know you will... Because you can't help it. You ARE a giver, not a taker in disguise.

Thanks for all of your help around here.

You've absolutely hit the nail on the head on the job security thing, Jim. And those poor people being so stingy with information just don't know what they're actually doing to themselves especially in the money department. I can't speak for anyone else, of course, but I've found that the information-stingy contractors are actually the ones that work themselves out of a job because word gets around that they are, in fact, stingy. The ones that are willing share information and take a bit of time to teach a couple of things to site personel are the ones who are perceived to be trustworthy, honest, helpful and a couple of other Boy Scout terms and are invited back for repeat business. And that kind of information gets around... so does the information about being stingy.

I definitely look forward to meeting you at PASS and, hopefully, at the SQLServerCentral party on Tuesday night.

And thank you for the very kind words both here and in other threads. I don't "teach" expecting to hear such things in return, but they sure are a joy. Thanks, Jim.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:
Post #1179142
Posted Wednesday, September 21, 2011 8:48 PM

SSC-Dedicated

Chris Harshman (9/21/2011)
I'd just like to say how glad I am that Jeff is a part of the SQL Server community, and say thanks for all I've learned from his writings. He's such an inspiration!

Gosh, Chris... thanks for the nice thoughts. I'm glad I could help.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:
Post #1179143
Posted Wednesday, September 21, 2011 9:03 PM

SSC-Dedicated

Evil Kraig F (9/21/2011)
*claps* Rock on ya old whitebeard! Us younguns are still learnin' every day from ya!

Heh... I'm really only 23! Guess I'm going to have to fire my stunt double or at least get him to shave (no chance in that, by the way) and suck in that gut!

What a tremendous community we have here. Old teaches young. Young teaches old. Thanks for the great posts you've put out there, Craig.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:
Post #1179145
Posted Wednesday, September 21, 2011 9:06 PM

SSC-Dedicated

Roy Ernest (9/21/2011)
Evil Kraig F (9/21/2011)
*claps* Rock on ya old whitebeard! Us younguns are still learnin' every day from ya!

You a youngun?
Great job Jeff.. Looking forward to meet you at the Summit. We will meet on Monday evening at the Lowells.

Now THAT sounds like a plan, Roy! I'm definitely looking forward to it!

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:
Post #1179147
Posted Wednesday, September 21, 2011 9:16 PM

SSC-Dedicated

ken.trock (9/21/2011)
Jeff, congratulations on the award. I know everytime I need a solution to a database programming problem my well trained programmer brain wants to construct a loop. Then I think about you and your teachings keeping us out of RBAR!

Ken

Thanks, Ken. Going back and forth between the procedural and declarative paradigms is one of the toughest things there is to do especially when someone like yourself is really good on the procedural side of the world. Glad to see that folks are mastering the shift between the two. Thanks for letting me be a part of all that.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:
Post #1179148
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««1234»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse