Seems I managed to make it through all of April without an update to the index analysis stored procedure. It wasn’t for lack of using it with clients, but a lack of time to get the changes out the door.
A few months back, I added the option to look at just duplicate index or overlapping index results. Have you taken the opportunity to use those features? If so, I’d like to hear from you to find out if the output is sufficient to make judgments on dropping the or modifying your indexes. Please reach out or leave a comment so I can make those sections better.
INDEX ANALYSIS UPDATES
There are a couple tweaks that I forgot about documenting in this update. Though, the main updates to the script in this release are the following:
- Fixed overlapping index logic that was made wonky because of duplicate index changes (see That’s Actually A Duplicate Index for more about duplicate indexes)
- Adjusted missing foreign key logic to remove duplicate responses
INDEX ANALYSIS DOWNLOADS
Click on the following links to download the index analysis script:
- SQL Server 2005 - Index Analysis v9
- SQL Server 2008 - Index Analysis v10
- SQL Server 2012 - Index Analysis v11
Comments and MORE INFORMATION
Let me know if you run into any issues with these scripts, my e-mail address is in the header of all of the procedures. If you are looking for a few hundred pages of indexing information, you can check out Expert Performance Indexing for SQL Server 2012. Along with that, for indexing resources from my blog, check out the index resource page.
Lastly, want to see this script do anything special with indexes? Leave a comment and I’ll see what I can do.