This month’s Meme15 topic is ‘Top 5 Reasons I Like My Job’. A little over a year ago, I started working as a Business Intelligence developer at Trek Bikes. Working at Trek has been a great experience and I feel very fortunate to have the opportunity, so I thought I’d share a few of the things I like best.
Here’s my ‘Top 5’ List:
I am privileged to work with a great group of people. Not only does the BI team have excellent technical skills, many individuals are actively involved in supporting the SQL Server community. Here’s a few of the activities Trek Bikes BI team members have been involved in:
- Presenting at local MadPASS meetings, SQL Saturdays, and SharePoint Saturdaysto name a few.
- Blogging about technical topics of interest.
- Supporting the local PASS chapter (MadPASS) via membership on the board of directors and attendance at meetings.
- Volunteering at the recent SQL Saturday in Madison, WI.
Pretty awesome stuff!
We also work with some of the latest technologies. A few months ago we upgraded to SQL Server 2012 and it is running in production. As a BI developer, I work with SSIS, SSAS and SSRS on a daily basis. We are also getting started on a project involving Azure.
Working with new technologies challenges me to keep my skills fresh and also provides great content for blogging and presenting.
Trek builds great bikes. Employees receive a very generous discount on bike purchases for themselves and family members as well as discounts on bicycling related products.
Trek Bikes supports many great organizations and events in the community. Here’s a few examples:
- Trek 100 – A Ride For Hope: An annual bike ride to raise money for the MACC Fund and fight the battle against childhood cancer.
- Bike For Boys and Girls Club: An annual bike ride to raise money for the local Boys and Girls Club chapter.
- DreamBikes: A non-profit organization with bike shops in low-income communities. Their mission is to provide job opportunities to local youth and quality bicycles to those who may otherwise be unable to afford one.
- And more…
Fun and Flexible Environment
The environment at Trek Bikes is best described as ‘fun and flexible’. Dress is casual -jeans and t-shirts are acceptable attire. There is also nice camaraderie amongst the BI team, including regular parties and other social events. We even find time to fit in an occasional round of disc golf at the local course.