You've been waiting, you've been asking, some begging to know the magic date of when Microsoft's SQL Server 2016 will be officially released! Ever since the exciting Data Driven event back in March, kicked off by Satya Nadella, everyone was wondering when is R-T-M of SQL2016? It's coming, it's coming, it's coming......Finally, it's almost here - and unless you've been under a rock, or bogged down with MongoDB, the DATE has been announced - set your calendars for JUNE 1, 2016. A heck of a way to professionally kick off the beginning of Summer 2016. (click the Data Driven link to hear on-demand, Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella share why data is driving business transformation and how you can use SQL Server 2016 to harness your data and transform it into intelligence, insights, and action) I covered the event in my previos blog, "Are You Data Driven SQL Server 2016 Revealed."
Yes, so June 1 is the day, that the product we've all been waiting for is released, and there's already A LOT of information out there on product enhancements, new features, offers, licensing, and downloadable previews for Release Candidate 3 (RC3), which is now available. And Microsoft is urging all us eager data and database professionals to "be ready" To learn about and get the latest running updates on What's New in SQL Server 2016 Release Candidate (RC3) follow the msdn link to learn about what's new in the SQL Server installation setup, Analysis Services, Database Engine, SSIS, SSRS, MDS, SQL Server R Services, and more! I just broke down the direct links to MSDN.microsoft.com for each category for your specific interests!
Microsoft Technet site is carrying the "Get Ready for June 1" blog and you should definitely check that out as well! Here are some of the marketing highlights:
- Mission critical intelligent applications delivering real-time operational intelligence by combining built-in advanced analytics and in-memory technology without having to move the data or impact end user performance.
- Enterprise scale data warehousing with enhanced in-memory columnstore that increases query performance by over 100x vs disk based solutions. With SQL Server 2016, you can also access optimized MPP scale out software that can be combined with scale out appliance architecture with our Analytics Platform System (APS).
- Applications requiring the highest levels of security with new Always Encrypted technology that protects your data at rest and in motion without impacting database performance.
- Comprehensive business intelligence solutions on mobile devices with an end-to-end mobile BI solution built-in that can deliver insights on any device. You can also manage all of your KPIs, mobile reports and traditional reports from a modern web portal.
- New big data solutions that require combining relational data with non-relational data with PolyBase technology built-in that allows you to query structured and unstructured data with the simplicity of T-SQL.
- Hybrid cloud solutions that can reduce storage costs, improve high availability and simplify IT operations with new Stretch Database technology. This keeps more of your historical data at your fingertips by transparently and securely stretching warm and cold OLTP data to Microsoft Azure on-demand without application changes. In addition, faster replicas can be placed in Azure to give you cost effective disaster recovery and backups.
OK, there is much to ponder, prepare and geekify ourselves about. Perhaps you should look for a local SQL Server 2016 launch event near you. As for The Big Apple, NYC, yes, we are planning for such an exciting event, June 2, 2016 at 11 Times Square, Microsoft Metro HQ. Event details to follow early next week! Timing is great. We are planning on TOP MVP speakers, and Microsoft PFEs to cover the new features, and give you reasons to upgrade to 2016! Stay bookmarked to the Pearlknows Blog right here! You can also follow us on twitter for latest updates @Pearlknows
If you are interested in a DBA strategy and hands-on book, read Healthy SQL – A Comprehensive Guide to Healthy SQL Server Performance, published by Apress, you can go to the url:
You can also get the book on Amazon: http://bit.ly/HealthySQLonAmazon
For all things SQL, news, events, jobs, info, and other fun tweets, follow me on twitter @Pearlknows and join the #HealthySQL campaign to keep your SQL Servers healthy!
Pearl Knowledge now offers IT Staff Augmentation and Project Consulting Placement as a service!