Getting Scared

This is not a technical post, it’s personal, but I need to express my fears.  It isn’t about our economy, or that I may lose my job.  I’m confident our economy will rebound (eventually) despite the best efforts of Congress and the President.  My job is fairly secure, at least for another year.

No, today I found out that my daughter has received her orders regarding her first duty station, Fort Gordon, GA.  There is a very good possibility that see will be deploying overseas within weeks of her arriving there, most likely Afghanistan.

As veteran, I understand what this means, but as a parent, I have never been so scared in my life.  In many ways, I wish I could in her place, but I know that can not happen.  I pray her training serves her and her unit well if this is what truly transpires.  I Pray that God watches over her and her battle buddies daily and that she will come home safely.

I am sure that this is same feeling that every parent, spouse, girl or boy friend, and children go through every time a unit is deployed.  It’s so hard when mind understands but the heart doesn’t, or is it actually the other way around?

To all who serve, My God watch over you and your families.  May you all return home safe to your families.

God Speed and Safe Journey.

Comments

Posted by Steve Jones on 2 April 2010

I can't imagine how you feel, and I hope things go well for your daughter and she returns safely.

Posted by Seth Phelabaum on 2 April 2010

I'll second that.  I read this last night and wanted to comment but couldn't think of the appropriate words.  I think Steve captured it pretty well there.

Posted by Jason Brimhall on 2 April 2010

Not quite the same sentiment but strong as well.  My brother is AF and has received orders on a couple of occasions to be deployed to Afghanistan.  Each time the orders were changed.  But it was quite a bit unnerving for his children, wife, and siblings.

I hope she returns safely (it it comes to pass).

Posted by Steven Murawski on 5 April 2010

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your daughter with her potential deployment.

I can't begin to express my gratitude for your daughter's and the rest of our volunteer armed forces service.

Posted by Hugo Shebbeare on 7 April 2010

Her personal sacrifice will not be in vain, and appreciated by all those who take their turn to confront oppression.

You are very proud of your daughter and have every reason to be scared, but hold fast and she shall return safely after doing her part.

Posted by robert.friedrichs on 15 April 2010

I have never served in our military, but my respect for those who do is boundless.  My thanks to your daughter and all of those here and abroad who are putting the needs of their country first.  As a parent, I have faced a terrifying situation where I knew my child was in harm's way.  God carried me through that situation, and I pray that He will do the same for you and all the families of our service men and women.

Posted by mark.broadbent-1100208 on 24 August 2010

Completely agree with what everyone else is saying. I feel for you. All the best to you and especially your daughter.