Devin Knight

Devin is a BI consultant at Pragmatic Works Consulting. Previously, he has tech edited the book Professional Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Integration Services and was an author in the book Knight's 24-Hour Trainer: Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Integration Services. Devin has spoken at past conferences like PASS and at several SQL Saturday events. He is a contributing member to the Business Intelligence Special Interest Group (SIG) for PASS as a leader in the SSIS Focus Group. Making his home in Jacksonville, FL, Devin is a participating member of the local users’ group (JSSUG).

SSIS - Creating a Deployment Manifest

Using a Deployment Manifest in SSIS allows you to deploy a set of packages to a target location using a wizard for installing your packages.  The benefit to using it is the nice user interface that a wizard provides.  The disadvantage of using it is it’s lack of flexibility.  When using the Deployment Manifest keep in mind that it’s an all or nothing deployment, which means you cannot choose to just deploy one or two packages at a time from your SSIS project.  Using the Deployment Manifest will deploy all your packages that are in your project.  Creating the manifest file is a very simple process that I will walk you through.

For more information about Managing and Configuring SSIS package download this whitepaper I co-authored on the topic.  http://www.pragmaticworks.com/downloads/ssiswhitepaper/downloadwhitepaper.aspx

Creating a Deployment Manifest

Find this portion with screenshots at my regular blog: http://blogs.pragmaticworks.com/devin_knight/

• With the Solution Explorer open Right-Click on the project name and click Properties
  • This will open the Project Properties Pages
  • Select the Deployment Utility from the page
  • Change the CreateDeploymentUtility property to True

After you’ve gone through these steps the next time you build your project it will create the file (YourProjectName).SSISDeploymentManifest.  This file is located in the same folder as your packages in the bin\Deployment folder.

If you run this file it will open the Package Installation Wizard that will allow you to deploy all your packages that were located in the project to a desired location.

Comments

Posted by vsankurathri on 8 July 2009

Deployment of ssis packages through manifest would be nice, but we cannot browse the ssis sub-folders on the target server. If we use msdb to store packages, we will be able to deploy the packages only to the parent folder corresponding to the instance.

thanks,

Vasavi Sankurathri

SQL Server / Oracle DBA

The Hartford

Posted by knight_devin@hotmail.com on 8 July 2009

Vasavi

When you run the Package Installation Wizard and select SQL Server deployment.  You will have the option to specify the package path.  So if you have a subfolder you can navigate to it there.  The bad part about it is that you cannot see which packages are already in the folder you only see the folder name itself.

Posted by vsankurathri on 8 July 2009

Knight,

The option we have is to specify the package path to save installation dependencies. Not the path to deploy ssis packages. When you select 'SQL Server deployment' as deployment option in Package Installation wizard, the ssis packages will be stored in msdb database in the folder specified in MsDtsSrvr.ini.xml. If you have subfolders under that, you can't deploy the packages using the manifest.

It is possible only through 'import package' option from SSMS.

Hope this is clear.  Thanks for the feedback.

Vasavi

Posted by knight_devin@hotmail.com on 8 July 2009

Vasavi

Ahh I understand now, that makes sense.  I can see that is a problem with the Deployment Manifest then.

Posted by brucek-1118507 on 22 October 2009

80040154 -error when trying to deploy manifest file.

what can I do about it?

Thank you.

Bruce

Posted by knight_devin@hotmail.com on 22 October 2009

Bruce

I haven't seen this problem before.  At what point do you receieve the error?  When you build the project to create the file or when you open it?  Also if you can send me a screen shot.

Posted by allen.lurey on 2 November 2009

Have run into a problem when using BIDS on my local desktop, and deploying DTSX, MANIFEST, DTSCONFIG file on the remote Database Server sql 2005.  running the manifest, which initiates the deployment wizard is NOT updating the dtsx file with the server DTSCONFIG location. I am having to manually modify the dtsx file with the correct server location, and then importing the dstx file into msdb using IMPORT PACKAGE.

Posted by knight_devin@hotmail.com on 6 November 2009

Sounds like you need to build the project again.  I'm not sure why else it wouldn't update.

Posted by Rick Todd on 17 November 2009

Anyone know how to keep the CreateDeploymentUtility from reverting to False when I close and reopen the solution? I've tried adding the necessary XML to the dtproj and the dtprod.user files, but it always reverts...

Thanks,

Rick

Posted by knight_devin@hotmail.com on 18 November 2009

That's strange I've never had that problem.  Sounds like it you would be on the right track by editing the XML so i'm not sure why it would default back.

Posted by ibasitas on 26 August 2010

When I build my project and I try to execute the manifest file in the bin folder I get the following error:

Unexpected error occurred.

Additional information:

Retrieving the COM class factory for component with CLSID {E44847F1-FD8C-4251-B5DA-B04BB22E236E} failed due to the following error: 80040154. (Microsoft.SqlSever.MangedDTS)

Can you tell me what this means? I'm sorta new to SSIS and I just want to deploy my package so I can schedule a job on it.

Posted by Rakesh Mishra on 3 November 2010

Hi Vasavi,

Have you found any solution/workaround (apart from using import)to issue that you have mentioned.

Thanks!

Rakesh

Posted by knight_devin@hotmail.com on 4 November 2010

Looks like something that happens when a package gets delete from a project but still shows in the solution explorer.

Posted by AbercrombieLV on 15 December 2010

When I run it on a machine with SQL2005, SQL2008 and SQL2008R2 instances, I get the SQL Server 2005 Integration Services Package Installation Utility. What's the path to the SQL 2008 R2 version?

Posted by knight_devin@hotmail.com on 16 December 2010

That's the correct one.  Even if you only have 2008 R2 installed it still says 2005.

Posted by kranthi.babu on 13 January 2011

Hey I'm still not able to understand the issue told by Vasavi. When i run the manifest file and opted to install the packages on SQL Server, after giving the server name, we can choose on which folder to install these packages. It even shows the subfolders if any. By the by I'm using SQL 2008 for checking. Is that the limitation in SQL 2005?

Posted by knight_devin@hotmail.com on 13 January 2011

No the 2005 version of this is the same as the 2008 one.

Posted by chpallavi on 3 October 2011

Hi,

When I right click on the manifest, the package installation wizard opens up, but the buttons are greyed out. I can't figure out what's wrong on the server.

PR

Posted by shailesh-360831 on 25 October 2012

Thanks lot for giving the information on very simple format.