Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««123»»

Fooling SQL Server Expand / Collapse
Author

SSCoach

SSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoach

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Today @ 12:04 PM
Steve Jones - Editor (8/10/2010)
Apologies to anyone that feels I crossed the line into too much advertising. I was asked to write something on this product, and I think I failed to editorialize on it properly.

I did think this particular feature was cool, and it is different. Idera's product is very cool as well, but it gives you a read only look. This one actually allows write back, so you could in fact, "mount" a database and test, or run your application against it and see where something failed. It's unique (for now), and I think a fairly innovative integration into SQL Server.

This seems like a cool feature.

My concern, are you writing back to the BAK file? I would be very leery about being able to change data in the backup file. I am curious to know how the whole thing works.

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
I have given a name to my pain...
MCM SQL Server, MVP

SQL RNNR

Posting Performance Based Questions - Gail Shaw
Post #967118
Posted Wednesday, August 11, 2010 7:47 AM
Mr or Mrs. 500

Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500

Last Login: Monday, May 21, 2012 3:13 PM
jeff,

I found that if you back up the transaction log after each Index Rebuild you don't have the log growing very much at all.

Steve

Post #967418
Posted Wednesday, August 11, 2010 8:29 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Yesterday @ 12:34 PM
The backup file isn't changed. What happens when you do the restore is that the mdf/ldf/ndf are created as sparse files. All reads from these files are redirected to the backup file, while the writes go to the sparse files. So the backup file is intact, but your changes are recorded, similar to a database snapshot.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #967456
Posted Wednesday, August 11, 2010 8:36 AM
SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Last Login: Yesterday @ 11:18 AM
If only it were just a growing log file. We have separate files for very large tables on separate LUNs and spindles, and I found that those files double in size on a reindex. Data files, not log files. The distribution works great in live, but then there's tons of empty space that the restore has to consume on a restore and that space isn't there in dev.
Post #967465
Posted Wednesday, August 11, 2010 9:40 AM

SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Last Login: Thursday, February 6, 2014 12:59 PM
Steve Jones - Editor (8/11/2010)
The backup file isn't changed. What happens when you do the restore is that the mdf/ldf/ndf are created as sparse files. All reads from these files are redirected to the backup file, while the writes go to the sparse files. So the backup file is intact, but your changes are recorded, similar to a database snapshot.

Thanks for the clarification. I take it that in order to remove the restored database you DROP DATABASE just like anything else.

So your backup checkup of doing the fast restore and DBCC does not go far enough, IMHO. One should go a step farther and use SQL Compare to match the objects and the contents. Then you can say that your backups work.

ATB

Charles Kincaid

Post #967542
Posted Wednesday, August 11, 2010 11:27 AM

SSCoach

SSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoach

Last Login: Today @ 12:04 PM
Steve Jones - Editor (8/11/2010)

Thanks for clarifying.

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
I have given a name to my pain...
MCM SQL Server, MVP

SQL RNNR

Posting Performance Based Questions - Gail Shaw
Post #967649
Posted Thursday, August 12, 2010 3:15 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Thursday, November 17, 2011 4:59 PM
I typically don't respond to posts but since 'advertising' is already a hot topic here....

Idera's SQL virtual database is not read-only and allows inserts, updates, deletes, dbcc commands, etc. It supports SQLsafe (compressed and encrypted) and native backups including compressed native backups.

Heather Sullivan
Director, SQL Server Products
Idera
Post #968583
Posted Friday, August 20, 2010 8:11 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Yesterday @ 12:34 PM
My apologies, Heather, for the implication. I was not aware that the Idera product had write capabilities. I have updated the editorial with a note as well.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #972552
Posted Friday, August 20, 2010 2:09 PM
Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: Today @ 11:10 AM
Steve,

Good article, well written. However, as brought up it does give an appearance (notice I said appearance) of a conflict of interest.

You highlight a RedGate product and guess what - Red Gate owns SQLServerCentral.com.

While most members are aware of this, not everyone may know that RedGate bought this site. It's not really highlighted anywhere.

I suggest doing like other media outlets do...include a disclaimer that RedGate owns this site when you write an article (pro or con) about one of their products.

Just my 2 cents.

-SQLBill

Post #972817
Posted Friday, August 20, 2010 2:33 PM
SSChasing Mays

SSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing Mays

Last Login: Today @ 1:50 PM
SQLBill (8/20/2010)
Steve,

Good article, well written. However, as brought up it does give an appearance (notice I said appearance) of a conflict of interest.

You highlight a RedGate product and guess what - Red Gate owns SQLServerCentral.com.

While most members are aware of this, not everyone may know that RedGate bought this site. It's not really highlighted anywhere.

I suggest doing like other media outlets do...include a disclaimer that RedGate owns this site when you write an article (pro or con) about one of their products.

Just my 2 cents.

-SQLBill

Here's the thing, this is not a media outlet. No claims of impartiality are made.

And personally, Im willing to sit through the occasional shameless plug for the information and discussions that are fostered by this site. They gotta pay the bills, and Id much rather have that be through a little optional product pushing than through subscriptions.

Post #972826
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««123»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse