Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase «««56789

How to Increase Query Speed by 3 Orders of Magnitude with no Indexes Expand / Collapse
Author

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Monday, November 17, 2014 6:00 AM
boner28 (7/16/2010)
I can't believe I took the time to read this... or that you took the time to write it

I feel the same way about your post. Not the most constructive criticism in the thread.....

Semper in excretia, sumus solum profundum variat
Post #953750
Posted Friday, July 16, 2010 11:54 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Friday, July 16, 2010 1:32 PM
I too find the title severely misleading. This is certainly not a "how to" guide. The conclusion is lacking also. The business requirement was changed from realtime to snapshot. A good business analyst would have flushed this out before development started.

Communication is always key in any IT project. Combining responsibilities (programmer and analyst) is not necessarily a good thing and may cause Sarbanes-Oxley compliancy issues.
Post #954065
Posted Friday, July 16, 2010 12:50 PM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Tuesday, July 29, 2014 2:47 PM
People, the title was purposely misleading. It was intended to get you to question your assumptions.

How in the world would combining the roles of analyst and programmer cause Sarbox problems? I worked in the clinical trial world for many years, under 21CFR Part 11, which is much stricter than Sarbox.
Post #954112
Posted Friday, July 16, 2010 1:06 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Friday, July 16, 2010 1:32 PM
Segregation of duty: Programmers are not allowed access to production. Business Analyst require access to production for systems in scope.

Well, it got my attention alright. The content just didn't live up to the title's promise
Post #954124
Posted Friday, July 16, 2010 1:30 PM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Tuesday, July 29, 2014 2:47 PM
Ron Hooijschuur (7/16/2010)
Segregation of duty: Programmers are not allowed access to production. Business Analyst require access to production for systems in scope.

Is that from Sarbox directly? If so, then make someone a business analyst/programmer. Problem solved.

Either way, that's idiotic. Sounds like a sure fire way to accurately hit the wrong target.
Post #954146
Posted Friday, July 16, 2010 9:50 PM
Forum Newbie

Last Login: Sunday, January 20, 2013 9:52 PM
Fair point! My comments were not constructive however after being confused for 20 hrs, tired and grumpy, ur article title led me to premature thoughts of sleeping in my own bed. I think you should edit the title and not annotate with descriptions such as genius. Your boss probably asked a thousand questions during spec and that should probably have been in the top five. From reading some of the comments, it's obvious it's been beneficial to some and appreciated by others but it barely exceeds common sense. Now I've slept though, I like the passion u write with and I'm sure you've got a lot more to contribute. Rick
Post #954289
Posted Friday, July 16, 2010 10:04 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Last Login: Today @ 11:55 AM
MikeAngelastro-571287 (7/14/2010)
I think that replies should avoid attacking the author of an article. That is not productive at all. The author took the initiative to share an experience. If you believe the author to be in error, reply with respect and include the logic behind your opinion. If you don't feel this way about it, please refrain from replying.

Man, do I ever agree with that! The author wasn't at fault for anything here. Lighten up folks.

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Post #954295
Posted Tuesday, July 20, 2010 6:49 AM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Wednesday, December 24, 2014 8:23 AM
I enjoyed the article. And it just goes to show, pay attention to everything, not just the code.
Post #955505
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase «««56789

Permissions Expand / Collapse