Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12

Why so few topics on SQL Azure - Is anybody using it? Expand / Collapse
Author
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Thursday, June 14, 2012 7:18 PM
We have done some preliminary investigation into SQL Azure, mainly because we have opportunities to develop applications on AppFabric. It certainly pays to have your SQL server and application both in Azure due to data costs, but it has been tricky for us to work out what potential costs applications will have, I think this will be something that people struggle to estimate for a while.

Steve, I think you may be right about "Select *", but I think there will be some large bills and some angry CFO's before everyone gets the message :)
Post #1115948
Posted Tuesday, June 14, 2011 5:59 AM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 6:38 AM
Sorry, I didn't see this question (still can't get the RSS feed to work for this topic). I've been doing lots of experimentation with SQL Azure, as Steve pointed out. My company, Red Gate, is also working to develop tools for use against SQL Azure. They're also updating their existing tools to work with it. SQL Compare & SQL Data Compare already do.

I'm not seeing much adoption rate in general, but those who do, are not going to places like SSC for help. I'm not sure where they're going for help, but it doesn't seem to be around here.

I find SQL Azure, overall, to be far less limiting than I thought it would be. But the 10gb limit (or 50gb limit with federation) makes it hard to come up with viable business uses.

----------------------------------------------------
"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood..." Theodore Roosevelt
The Scary DBA
Author of: SQL Server 2012 Query Performance Tuning
SQL Server 2008 Query Performance Tuning Distilled
and
SQL Server Execution Plans

Product Evangelist for Red Gate Software
Post #1124897
Posted Wednesday, June 15, 2011 2:52 AM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Tuesday, August 26, 2014 1:21 AM
Thanks for the feedback Grant, it's appeciated. Also good to know that RedGate are bought into SQL Azure (I suppose you should be given how Microsoft are positioning it!)

Grant Fritchey (6/14/2011)
But the 10gb limit (or 50gb limit with federation) makes it hard to come up with viable business uses.

Agreed!

Tim

Post #1125522
Posted Friday, June 24, 2011 8:19 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Monday, June 30, 2014 2:16 AM
Hi,
i don't know where you are located or where your business is located and what your organization's area of specialty is. But to cut the long story short, SQL Azure is not i deal at the moment for Someone who stays in South Africa and does not work for a communication network Parastatal like Telkom, Vodacom, Internet Solutions or Neotel. So answering your question canbe a bit difficult for a South African like me whose limited by the network bandwidth crisis (costs of implementation and maintainance).
But if u are in the US or Japan, that 's another story.
Post #1131184
Posted Tuesday, June 28, 2011 3:23 PM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Thursday, July 25, 2013 3:37 PM
I asked in my company about using SQL Azure. Our issue is that most of our databases use HIPPA (health) data that has privacy issues. All of our production databases have to be in our datacenter by contract.

For larger hospital customers we fill their security questionaires on how we handle patient data.
If we had to put on there that our patient data in on the "SQL Azure Cloud" it would likely cause us to lose customers.

I think that any databse dealing with anything sensitive (credit card data, patient data, etc) will not be able to move to SQL Azure.

Most companies have sensitve data in some of their databases, therefore they are going to already maintain SQL Server in-house.
And if you are just considering SQL Azure for other applications, why add the cost of SQL Azure?
Just put the extra databases on the existing SQL Servers that you have to keep in-house anyway.

Our attitude is that our non-sensitive data goes on the same SQL Servers as our sensitive data.
We have already paid for the SQL Server licensing and the SAN infrastructure. Those would not be going away, so there would be no cost savings.
We would just be adding a cost that we don't need.

There is no reason to do SQL Azure also since we HAVE to maintain the in-house secure servers.
Post #1133295
Posted Tuesday, September 27, 2011 6:37 AM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

I started this thread more than a year ago now. Thanks very much for the replies to date.

We're now about to kick off another round of evaluation (partly using Redgate SQL Compare tools - thanks Grant). Its an established SQL Server solution with an ASP.NET GUI and a Web Service based business logic tier. We're aiming to try it all on Azure.

Which prompted me to start wondering again, is anyone actively working with SQL Azure yet?

Thanks

Tim

Post #1181695
Posted Tuesday, September 27, 2011 8:54 AM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 6:38 AM
Tim Walker. (9/27/2011)
I started this thread more than a year ago now. Thanks very much for the replies to date.

We're now about to kick off another round of evaluation (partly using Redgate SQL Compare tools - thanks Grant). Its an established SQL Server solution with an ASP.NET GUI and a Web Service based business logic tier. We're aiming to try it all on Azure.

Which prompted me to start wondering again, is anyone actively working with SQL Azure yet?

Thanks

Tim

I still am, but that's because we're building tools for it. Check out SQL Azure Backup.

----------------------------------------------------
"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood..." Theodore Roosevelt
The Scary DBA
Author of: SQL Server 2012 Query Performance Tuning
SQL Server 2008 Query Performance Tuning Distilled
and
SQL Server Execution Plans

Product Evangelist for Red Gate Software
Post #1181841
Posted Tuesday, September 27, 2011 8:35 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Yesterday @ 4:16 PM
I do see some MVPs posting about their work with Azure and asking questions about how things function and when changes are coming. Not sure what I can disclose about specifics. However I don't see much else coming from people outside of Microsoft.

I'll post a note on Twitter tomorrow and see if I can get people to respond.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #1182162
Posted Wednesday, September 28, 2011 1:30 AM
SSC Veteran

Grant Fritchey (9/27/2011)
Tim Walker. (9/27/2011)

Thanks

Tim

I still am, but that's because we're building tools for it. Check out SQL Azure Backup.

Thanks Grant, I'll give that a go.

Tim

Post #1182238
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12

Permissions Expand / Collapse