Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 123»»»

No One is Safe Expand / Collapse
Author

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Yesterday @ 9:42 PM
Comments posted to this topic are about the item No One is Safe

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #906510
Posted Monday, April 19, 2010 10:57 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Yesterday @ 8:46 PM
Heh... can you imagine? Someone calls at 2:00AM with a prank call to ask "Is your refrigerator running?" and when you go to look, the damned thing has taken off down the street because of a bar code on a milk carton?

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Post #906516
Posted Monday, April 19, 2010 11:17 PM

Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Last Login: Thursday, September 18, 2014 6:14 PM
That's thinking outside the square - even as a developer/SQL-admin, I have to admire his ingenuity.

Chris
Post #906527
Posted Tuesday, April 20, 2010 1:51 AM

SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Thursday, September 18, 2014 11:12 AM

and ensure every developer understands what SQL Injection is.

it means every developer (negative) would turn into a Doctor with an Injection named as "Sql Injection" ....
Post #906600
Posted Tuesday, April 20, 2010 1:53 AM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Tuesday, June 3, 2014 8:16 AM
Security is a little interesting but to learn about it you have to dig by yourself usually. It's not promoted like other types of information. A reason for that I believe is that it's not easy to teach since there so many ways and so much to think about and it's not documented like an API because there is none, security breaches comes from peoples imagination set to practice.

To build security functions is also costly and time consuming to make it good and effective so it does not slow down your application. When you have a time line and a budget security seams to always come last and that is a problem and we know it, but will it be a problem fro your application or your environment? Maybe it wont. So time, money and knowledge limitations seams to put security last, in many cases and thus we wont get rid of most security issues for a long time.
Post #906601
Posted Tuesday, April 20, 2010 2:26 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Thursday, April 22, 2010 5:27 PM
it's not really a million miles from the "little bobby tables" xkcd cartoon from a while back, is it?
http://xkcd.com/327/
Post #906619
Posted Tuesday, April 20, 2010 6:06 AM
SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Last Login: Yesterday @ 11:58 AM
That gives me an idea for a new vanity plate so that the electronic license plate readers on the toll highway won't bill me. Thank you for sharing that picture. It certainly made me laugh... and then think about my data import processes.
Post #906747
Posted Tuesday, April 20, 2010 6:07 AM

Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Last Login: Monday, May 7, 2012 9:23 AM
Great picture, and what a genius to think of that! Thanks for sharing it!

As evidenced by the recent data theft here on the east coast of the US, where two guys drove through TJX's corporate parking lot and wirelessly stole over 300,000 credit card numbers, I think the greatest danger to any kind of security is our own shortsightedness, ego, and more often than not too much 'intelligence' completely shadowing simple common sense.

Let's face it, throughout history, security is often broken by man's own shortsighted presumptions.

At Troy, a great battle was fought with great heroics and yet not one single person bothered to ask, "Why are they giving us this giant horse?" as they opened the gates to the 'impenetrable' city, and rolled their enemies in, to their own doom.

Those who forget or ignore history are doomed to repeat it - and computer security is well laden with pristine examples of overly-intelligent people failing to use common sense.

There's no such thing as dumb questions, only poorly thought-out answers...
Post #906748
Posted Tuesday, April 20, 2010 6:17 AM
SSC Veteran

Last Login: Wednesday, January 22, 2014 9:48 AM
That is pretty hilarious.

I can only imagine being the one troubleshooting the source of the dropped table.
Post #906754
Posted Tuesday, April 20, 2010 8:21 AM

SSC Veteran

Last Login: Yesterday @ 1:13 PM
blandry (4/20/2010)
At Troy, a great battle was fought with great heroics and yet not one single person bothered to ask, "Why are they giving us this giant horse?" as they opened the gates to the 'impenetrable' city, and rolled their enemies in, to their own doom.

There were a few doubters, Laocoon, who railed against the acceptance of the horse, calling it a Greek trick. He of course was ignored, and then murdered by serpents sent by the gods. Cassandra warned them too, but she was ignored as well.

All too frequently in my career, I've run into a general apathetic attitude from management regarding security. Every time I stand up for it, I always think of Laocoon...
Post #906880
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 123»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse