Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12345»»»

Report Server Diagnostic Reports Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Thursday, February 4, 2010 4:32 AM

SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Yesterday @ 7:56 AM
Excellent stuff!

Have downloaded, installed, and now ready to play. Thank you for sharing these.

Kev
Post #859508
Posted Thursday, February 4, 2010 5:09 AM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Thursday, October 11, 2012 2:06 PM
Several points to note:
1. 2005 is different than 2008 in schema and the type of metrics available. 2008 has more information.
2. If your solution does not use a datawarehouse and goes directly to the ezecutionlog, the usage metrics are only as good as the history. The default is 60 days.

A solution exists on codeplex called sqlscrubs to extract all of that information from reporting services 2008 to drive actionable report optimization. It includes the necessary datawarehouse, ssis package and set of starter reports.

Http://scrubs.codeplex.com

SQLScrubs: SSRS Audit, Optimization & Management reports
Post #859525
Posted Thursday, February 4, 2010 5:09 AM

Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Last Login: Thursday, August 22, 2013 7:25 AM
Very nice article and great job on the reports. Wasn't sure if you were aware of it at all, but with the SSRS Samples on CodePlex there is an SSIS package and Reports that you can leverage, Report Execution Log Files. Doesn't provide everything you have provided, but you might want to check it out if you haven't seen this before. The only reason that you would want this is because you will want to offload the Execution information since the default setting is to only keep 60 days of history.

There are other Report Packs available for SSRS 2005 that you can check out here on the Microsoft downloads SQL Server 2005 Report Packs.

Thanks for sharing your work. Once again very nice.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dan English - http://denglishbi.wordpress.com
Post #859526
Posted Thursday, February 4, 2010 5:38 AM

SSCarpal Tunnel

SSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal Tunnel

Last Login: Today @ 10:38 AM
Thanks for sharing your work!

Best,

Kevin G. Boles
SQL Server Consultant
SQL MVP 2007-2012
TheSQLGuru at GMail
Post #859548
Posted Thursday, February 4, 2010 5:39 AM
Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 3:06 AM
Michael, we used to fight with Develpoers on why the report has failed. Now you can see on the Subreport "ReportErrors". Now we can see who went on to give himself power to run and edit reports.

A very nice piece of Work. Especially on your introduction of how you used to take time to establish the problem, now you have made a master piece which can manifest within seconds.

I did test with SQL 2005 and it seems as if I did develop these reports on my own!!!

If possible just give me any hints about Reporting Services. I am not much concentrating on Reporting on my Work but today I have changed my mind.

Michael thanks for changing other people's minds also. I will be on Reporting from now on.

Thanks
Post #859549
Posted Thursday, February 4, 2010 5:48 AM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Friday, August 29, 2014 3:48 AM
Still can't find where I can see what the name of the stored procedure that each report uses is?

Any ideas anyone?
Post #859554
Posted Thursday, February 4, 2010 6:02 AM
SSC Rookie

Last Login: Tuesday, November 12, 2013 5:48 AM
Roger...

Typically I like developing reports with a procedure (kept within the database) and an RDL file (which executes the procedure). To make these as easy for deployment as possible to the greater audience, I embedded the query directly into the RDL file. The most simple way to view them would be to do the following:

1) Open the RDL (not in visual studio, but in the XML view. If you are not sure how to do that, just put the file somewhere, like your desktop, and double click it).

2) Search for the text string "<Query>" (do not include the double quotes - only what is inside the quotation marks).

3) You should be taken to the section in the RDL file that contains the query (some of these report have multiple queries). Just past the <DataSourceName> and <CommandText> tags begins the SQL code. That should be what you are looking for...
Post #859567
Posted Thursday, February 4, 2010 6:10 AM
SSC Rookie

Last Login: Monday, July 21, 2014 11:04 AM
Wonderful addition to my reporting. Easy to install and use. Thanks for sharing!

Post #859575
Posted Thursday, February 4, 2010 6:12 AM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: Today @ 12:10 PM
Great article and useful information. As was shared earlier, by default SSRS only stores execution information for 60 days.

Jack Corbett

Applications Developer

Don't let the good be the enemy of the best. -- Paul Fleming

Check out these links on how to get faster and more accurate answers:
Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Need an Answer? Actually, No ... You Need a Question
How to Post Performance Problems
Crosstabs and Pivots or How to turn rows into columns Part 1
Crosstabs and Pivots or How to turn rows into columns Part 2
Post #859578
Posted Thursday, February 4, 2010 6:13 AM
SSC Rookie

Last Login: Friday, August 29, 2014 3:48 AM
Thanks for the reply Michael, yes that is how I do it at the moment, but it would be great if I could query all my reports and see what the stored procedure for each one was in one go .. how possible is this?
Post #859580
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12345»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse