Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

Utilizing fn_virtualfilestats Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Saturday, November 30, 2002 12:00 AM
SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Tuesday, July 31, 2007 8:20 AM
Comments posted to this topic are about the content posted at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/ckempster/filestatsexample.asp

Chris Kempster
www.chriskempster.com
Author of "SQL Server Backup, Recovery & Troubleshooting"
Author of "SQL Server 2k for the Oracle DBA"
Post #8508
Posted Thursday, December 5, 2002 1:56 PM

Mr or Mrs. 500

Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500

Last Login: Sunday, April 13, 2014 11:06 AM
I implemented your code on on of my systems and followed your article to produce the same graphs that you created, and it proved to be a breakthrough in communictaion with some of my managers. Excellent article.

Post #48154
Posted Thursday, December 5, 2002 3:34 PM
SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Last Login: Tuesday, July 31, 2007 8:20 AM
No probs, thanks for the feedback.

Chris Kempster
www.chriskempster.com
Author of "SQL Server Backup, Recovery & Troubleshooting"
Author of "SQL Server 2k for the Oracle DBA"
Post #48155
Posted Thursday, December 5, 2002 5:26 PM
SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Group: Moderators
Last Login: Monday, November 17, 2014 2:20 PM
Good article, but A+ on using OLAP. We need more OLAP content, so if you have other ideas?! I'd love to see a follow up that uses data mining to do some deeper analysis.

Andy
http://www.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/awarren/

Andy
SQLAndy - My Blog!
Connect with me on LinkedIn
Follow me on Twitter
Post #48156
Posted Tuesday, June 10, 2008 10:07 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Wednesday, November 19, 2014 7:25 PM
Best place to post it as it doesnt warrant its own topic. If I have basic files for my databases (no file groups) and I execute fn_virtualfilesatats() against all databases, the data that is returned is cumulative from what point? The last checkpoint/log flush/instace restart? It would help me get a grip on the databases at my new job until I can get anaylsys services implemented and run your excellent solution.

But first I have to move all of the databases to new sql2005 servers and test the apps against them.

They have never had a full time DBA so I have a ton of work to do but need some basic insight into what are my busiest databases so I can better load balance when moving them to the new servers.

Management has no idea what activity is occuring on what database so I cant wait to get your solution implemented. Unfortunately, I am limited on time and prirorities. They are pushing to get everything moved over but I am holding out until I can benchmark the new servers with sqlio and find what databases are doing what so I know where to put them....pretty basic stuff....

your assistance in helping me understand the output I am getting would be appreciated

here is a sample attached.

'nix

Post Attachments 
IODisk_PerformanceCheck.xls (29 views, 24.50 KB)
Post #514597
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse