Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««1234»»»

Learn A Bit More Expand / Collapse
Author
Mr or Mrs. 500

Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Today @ 1:35 AM
There's no money for conferences in this job and I don't do Saturdays - I've got a life and personal commitments
If it's weekday and free or cheap I would be able to go. And we do get some training courses.
I used to go to BUG (Borland User Group) when I was a Delphi developer for a previous employer and that was really good for expanding knowledge. But weekends are for family and I'm certainly not "in it for the glamour" - my ambition is to retire!.
Post #763123
Posted Friday, July 31, 2009 8:27 AM
Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Last Login: Monday, May 19, 2014 9:26 AM
Really don't mean to debate on this...but I've got family commitments too..so do several speakers and people who volunteer their time for all the events we do on weekends, saturdays. As an organiser i even do not get time to learn from the talks like others do, just on my feet all the time dealing with logistics. All I expect is some understanding from the user community - when you get things for free there are some tradeoffs, doing it off hours is one of them. Please do respect the fact that the rest of us do have families and do put in time/commitment to do it.
Post #763135
Posted Friday, July 31, 2009 8:29 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Tuesday, August 19, 2014 9:34 AM
I would love to attend one for free and during weekends....
Post #763137
Posted Friday, July 31, 2009 8:40 AM
SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Group: Moderators
Last Login: Friday, August 29, 2014 8:46 AM
One of the reasons we've focused on Saturday events is to be able to get a good group of speakers. Many speakers have trouble taking off from work to participate, putting it on a Saturday makes it possible. Same for attendees, not all employers good about letting employees go - often a perception that free = not much value. If someone wants to do an event on Friday we'll do what we can to help, after all, the logistics are the same.

And as far as giving up a Saturday to learn, that's an individual choice. I think trading a Sat or two a year for knowledge that keeps me employable is a good deal and I'd like to think that anyone who has attended would agree. I evangelize it, but everyone gets to make the value calculation based on their own circumstances!

Andy
SQLAndy - My Blog!
Connect with me on LinkedIn
Follow me on Twitter
Post #763147
Posted Friday, July 31, 2009 9:14 AM

SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Wednesday, October 3, 2012 8:35 AM
I will be driving from New Orleans to Baton Rouge tomorrow morning (1.5 hour drive) to attend SQL Server Saturday. I'm happy to have the opportunity for the free training. Microsoft has not been here to offer us free training for several years. I attend local user group meetings here or in Baton Rouge occasionally when there is a topic I am interested in. My employer rarely will pay for training and it would be impossible right now, in the current economic climate, to ask them to pay for training.

Terri

To speak algebraically, Mr. M. is execrable, but Mr. C. is
(x+1)-ecrable.
Edgar Allan Poe
[Discussing fellow writers Cornelius Mathews and William Ellery Channing.]
Post #763179
Posted Friday, July 31, 2009 9:15 AM

SSC-Addicted

SSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-Addicted

Last Login: Tuesday, May 15, 2012 4:11 AM
ST_John (7/31/2009)
I've been going to SQL Bits since number 3, they are fantastic. I actually enjoy them more and feel I learn mor from them that the paid for conferences. At the paid for ones it feels like there is a lot of pressure to deliver enough content to make the deligates (and the people who paid for them) feel that they had got their moneys worth. The free ones are a lot mere relaxed and somehow seem to deliver more out of it (at least SQL Bits do)

I'll definatly be going to the next one, and also doing my best to talk all my friends and collegues into going to (OK. Just the ones that are into SQL Server!)

Maybe see some of you peeps there too?

John

I was at the last one (I volunteered to help out, so you may have spotted me when registering behind the desk - I may even have handed you your lanyard + badge!)
I will be going to the next one, despite the fact that I'll have to catch a 6am train from Leeds to Newport on the Saturday
I can't travel down the night before as I have tickets to Motorhead in Leeds - what a rock'n'roll weekend that will be

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bite-sized fiction (with added teeth)
Post #763181
Posted Friday, July 31, 2009 9:15 AM

SSC-Forever

SSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-Forever

Last Login: Today @ 6:33 AM
The only free training events down where I live are usergroup meetings and Microsoft's DevDays and TechDays (which happen once a year). I make a point of going to those as well as usergroup meetings if the topic is relevant.

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008, MVP
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Post #763182
Posted Friday, July 31, 2009 11:00 AM

SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Last Login: Monday, November 2, 2009 8:46 AM
Grant Fritchey (7/31/2009)
I guess my question is, why would you NOT go to one of these events? Fear that maybe the people presenting don't know what they're talking about? So leave the session. It only costs some time, which, while important, is something that you should be spending to increase your knowledge and employability.

The main reason I don't go is that many are not local. If it is within a 60 mile radius of my home, then I can go. I don't have the time or money to fly to free events.
Post #763272
Posted Friday, July 31, 2009 11:22 AM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Wednesday, November 28, 2012 3:53 PM
My company is usually very good about paying for travel and conferences, but it is not in the budget to travel this year. They will pay for webinars and online training and allow us to do it during work time. I am new to SQL server, so I have not been to any conferences yet.

I am from central Wisconsin, and the closest SQL Saturday event is in Iowa City. They will not pay for the travel, but I am considering paying for it myself.

For those of you from Wisconsin and Illinois, we might be able to get an event closer, if there is enough interest. To request a SQL Saturday, go to: http://www.sqlsaturday.com/interested.aspx

Thanks,
Sarah
Post #763285
Posted Friday, July 31, 2009 11:27 AM
Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Last Login: Monday, May 19, 2014 9:26 AM
I believe that is a truly legitimate reason..distance factors and time and cost involved in getting there. There are lot of 'not so legitimate' ones that I know of - my boss says very often if you want a 9 to 5 job with no extra time for learning or updating your skills then technology is a very wrong choice. I understand truly that people's choices may be complex than that - but as Andy said to stay 'employable' and competitive one has to make some sacrifies, time is one of them especially in this field.
Post #763287
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««1234»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse