Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 12345»»»

Take a Seat Expand / Collapse
Author

SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Thursday, December 12, 2013 1:09 PM
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Take a Seat

Bill Nicolich: www.SQLFave.com.
Daily tweet of what's new and interesting: AppendNow
Post #761282
Posted Wednesday, July 29, 2009 4:23 AM

Mr or Mrs. 500

Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500

Last Login: Thursday, October 04, 2012 9:20 AM
Your employer is duty bound by law to provide you with a chair thats appropriate otherwise you could suffer health problems and sue them.....

Hiding under a desk from SSIS Implemenation Work
Post #761364
Posted Wednesday, July 29, 2009 5:29 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Monday, April 14, 2014 5:16 AM
Joel Spolsky provides a great justification for spending to get a high quality chair.

http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/FieldGuidetoDevelopers.html

Get the chair ... you deserve it
Post #761396
Posted Wednesday, July 29, 2009 5:36 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Friday, February 21, 2014 8:14 AM
At a prior job, I had a wonderfully comfortable $199 chair, but had to give it up when I went to management. The management chair was 3-4 times as expensive and felt like sitting on gravel. I fussed and fussed about that chair and should have just "lost" it one night.

Get what you think is comfortable. We spend too much time in the saddle to not be comfortable.

Regards,
J.
Post #761404
Posted Wednesday, July 29, 2009 6:05 AM

Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Last Login: Monday, May 07, 2012 9:23 AM
Buy a new chair??? With hundreds of companies going out of business and still more laying off workers, you are going out and buying a new chair? Man, I am guessing that you also have champagne every morning with your company-supplied caviar!!!

In these times the best thing to do for this challenge is find a used office furniture company. Where I live, we have a very popular used office furniture company that I have dealt with for decades now. Great guy, started as a small one truck business buying up used office furniture, and today he has grown to five stores throughout our two-state region!

A couple years ago he sold me two italian leather hi-back office chairs. 100 bucks each!! Very comfortable for those late afternoon naps! Of course, I have never figured out the "Italian leather" part of things - didnt know leather came in nationalities, but then, great chairs - and I didnt overpay for junk like you get at places I wont mention (like Staples and Office Depot, which I just didnt mention)...

In these times you need to shop for bargains and in office furniture, there are tons out there to be had. So cancel this afternoon's massage and spa treatment and do a little local shopping - there are great deals to be had.

There's no such thing as dumb questions, only poorly thought-out answers...
Post #761426
Posted Wednesday, July 29, 2009 6:36 AM

Say Hey Kid

Say Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey Kid

Last Login: Friday, April 18, 2014 1:43 PM
When I started at my present job a year and a half ago, there was somewhat worn but still serviceable chair at my desk. "Replace that piece of crap," my new boss said, "get yourself something better." "Nah, it's fine," I replied, "it's comfortable if a bit ugly, but it works great. Why do I want to waste money to replace something that works OK?"

Move forward 6 months. I awake at night with a numb right arm, nearly immovable and unsensing from the bicep on down. Waving it around to restore pinched-off bloodflow does nothing, and I start wondering if this is some symptom of a heart attack. 10 minutes go by before I get much sensation at all, and the next day it's still not right.

I go to a doctor, a neurologist, etc., etc. I get thousands - yep, thousands! - of bucks of testing done before a doc with more brains than the rest starts grilling me about the timing of the onset of symptoms, after she explains I have a pinched nerve in my elbow. Had I noticed this earlier? Well, yes I had, in a milder form. When exactly? Well, several months before. What was going on in your life at that time? Uh, I started a new job and I ..... uh......

And it hit me. The old chair had unpadded, metal arms, and my natural position at the chair - with my elbow draped just off the edge of the chair's arm - put the inside of my elbow right against the thin, outside edge of the unpadded metal arm of the chair. DOH!

Bought a new chair immediately. Within 2 weeks, my arm was 80% better. Within 2 months, the tingling was virtually gone. As I sit and type this, my arm is fine.

Chairs matter. Better chairs could lower the total national health care budget! A better chair would have lowered my health care budget!!!

I didn't spend a lot on my new chair, but you better believe I sat in every chair I considered purchasing and evaluated where my elbows would rest!

Yours,
Rich Mechaber
Post #761460
Posted Wednesday, July 29, 2009 6:52 AM

SSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Thursday, December 12, 2013 1:09 PM
So cancel this afternoon's massage and spa treatment and do a little local shopping - there are great deals to be had.

Blandry: The spa treatment comment had me rolling. Thanks. I should explain the irony. About every morning all the IT folks including myself go help pull products out of our sweaty warehouse for half hour to an hour to fulfill orders. Around here, we're not exactly what you could call pampered prima donnas.

But I get it. In these tough economic times...

Every time you hear that intro, you know you're in for it. In these tough economic times, I maybe shouldn't complain about sitting on a glorified plank of wood all day. But then if I go out, buy a chair, that will stimulate the economy ever so slightly and maybe speed the recovery.

Bill Nicolich: www.SQLFave.com.
Daily tweet of what's new and interesting: AppendNow
Post #761486
Posted Wednesday, July 29, 2009 7:12 AM

SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Friday, April 18, 2014 7:55 AM
The chair at my current job is the best desk chair I have ever used. It's a Highmark Modela. It's got a mesh back, a fabric base, and padded armrests. I think it cost around $500. I wish I had the wherewithal to get one like it for home. There I use an Office Depot economy chair that I have had to repair on several occasions over the years. My advice is don't skimp on your chair.
Post #761511
Posted Wednesday, July 29, 2009 7:13 AM

Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Last Login: Friday, June 07, 2013 8:44 AM
I have a chair too. I think it's blue. Yup, blue. Chairs aren't a big deal to me as long as they meet a certain minimum standard, and my standards aren't all that high. I'm 6' 4" so basically it has to be big enough and the arms can't be all ripped up and catching on stuff. I have found a blue one that works for me, so I'm good.

If you need a new chair I can't endorse the used market loudly enough. New office chairs are like sports cars, with a tremendous prestige value worked into the pricing and a precipitous value drop the moment it leaves the lot. There are lots of decent chairs out there pre-purchased by folks who are now out of business. Avail yourself of their sacrifice and give a good home to a good chair.

Are you lost daddy? I asked tenderly.
Shut up he explained.

- Ring Lardner
Post #761512
Posted Wednesday, July 29, 2009 7:15 AM

SSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Wednesday, January 29, 2014 7:19 AM
Remember when requesting your new chair to use the word 'ergonometric'. It's a good 25 cent word for 'scientifically designed to make you more productive at lesser cost'. That's not the textbook definition of the word, but it's the practical definition.

rmechaber has it right - a good chair can save thousands in medical bills in the future. And not only the chair - if your workstation is properly designed, it helps prevent carpal-tunnel and a host of other maladies.

Any manager needs to hear ROI whether it's a new chair or a new server. Lower medical bills and higher productivity come from something as simple as a good chair.

By the way boss, since we mentioned a new server...

Post #761519
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 12345»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse