Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase «««23456»»»

Map IP Address to a Geographical Location Expand / Collapse
Author
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Sunday, July 20, 2014 5:03 AM
will come in handy. thanks
Post #904896
Posted Friday, April 16, 2010 9:10 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Tuesday, May 6, 2014 12:06 PM
Nice summary. We bought IP to city range a few years ago for $100 and it's served us nicely since, allowing us to show (albeit not ENTIRELY accurate) our customers numbers of page views within a distance range from their location. Also it's nice to have it mapped to zipcode.
Post #904952
Posted Friday, April 16, 2010 9:26 AM

SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Yesterday @ 12:35 PM
Jeff Moden (7/25/2009)
Heh... sorry Peter... Thought you were trying to flatten the trajectory of a pork chop for some reason. I'm a bit touchy because I'm trying to quit smoking, again....

Hi Jeff,

I'm rooting for you. I don't smoke, but I've seen how hard it is for people to quit. It can be done, though. And given what I have seen of the quality of your code and tenacity in solving SQL problems, you sure seem to have the stick–to–itiveness to achieve your goal!

- webrunner

-------------------
"Operator! Give me the number for 911!" - Homer Simpson

"A SQL query walks into a bar and sees two tables. He walks up to them and says 'Can I join you?'"
Ref.: http://tkyte.blogspot.com/2009/02/sql-joke.html
Post #904970
Posted Friday, April 16, 2010 12:51 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Last Login: Today @ 7:03 AM
webrunner (4/16/2010)
Jeff Moden (7/25/2009)
Heh... sorry Peter... Thought you were trying to flatten the trajectory of a pork chop for some reason. I'm a bit touchy because I'm trying to quit smoking, again....

Hi Jeff,

I'm rooting for you. I don't smoke, but I've seen how hard it is for people to quit. It can be done, though. And given what I have seen of the quality of your code and tenacity in solving SQL problems, you sure seem to have the stick–to–itiveness to achieve your goal!

- webrunner

Heh... thanks. My biggest problem is that I really, really like smoking.

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Post #905133
Posted Friday, April 16, 2010 1:06 PM
Forum Newbie

Last Login: Friday, November 1, 2013 7:37 AM
Great timing and write up. I started down this path with SQL 2K8 and GeoCity data. I'm an ESRI user and plan to mix this with spatial data stored in SQL spatial and ESRI's ArcSDE. This will provide a good sampling of our map application's usage and reach in....a map application--how novel.
Instead of using a bulk insert for user logs wouldn't IIS logging in SQL work well here?
Post #905143
Posted Friday, April 16, 2010 1:20 PM

SSC-Insane

SSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-Insane

Last Login: Yesterday @ 9:32 PM
I enjoyed revisiting this article. This is a job well done.

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
I have given a name to my pain...
MCM SQL Server

SQL RNNR

Posting Performance Based Questions - Gail Shaw
Posting Data Etiquette - Jeff Moden
Hidden RBAR - Jeff Moden
VLFs and the Tran Log - Kimberly Tripp
Post #905168
Posted Friday, April 16, 2010 3:07 PM
Forum Newbie

Last Login: Friday, December 20, 2013 1:04 PM
Jeff Moden (4/16/2010)
webrunner (4/16/2010)
Jeff Moden (7/25/2009)

Hi Jeff,

- webrunner

Heh... thanks. My biggest problem is that I really, really like smoking.

I smoked for 20+ years. I have not had a cigarette in 2.5 years give or take. This is what it took for me to quit.

I chewed the gum and suckwed on the lozenges for 8 months, 4MG one after another. I switched to 2MG about a month before I stopped completely. After many months on the gum you will notice that you will wake up and not even think to get a piece sometimes, and after the habit of having a smoke has been broken choose a day like this to quit.

Sneaking even one cigarette is to start all over, try to avoid people who smoke while your quitting. I can be around smokers now without issue. I thought I loved cigarettes as well, but I wouldn’t go back for anything.
Post #905227
Posted Sunday, April 18, 2010 11:10 AM

SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Group: Moderators
Last Login: Today @ 6:19 AM
Off topic -

Hey Jeff, head to Australia where they're contemplating $20 (!!!) a packet, am sure this could influence your behaviour ;)

Steve.
Post #905582
Posted Sunday, April 18, 2010 3:10 PM
Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Friday, September 2, 2011 3:22 AM
Whilst the article was very good, I would like to issue a note of caution; even if the address does not appear to be that of a DHCP pool used by an ISP, the results may still be misleading as:

1) The traffic is routed via the company WAN to a quite different address - in an extreme case I have seen this give my address as being the United States whilst I was in England.
2) The address is that of the failities management company rather then the actual address. Again I have seen this give an address in Germany whereas I was definitly in the UK.
Post #905609
Posted Sunday, April 18, 2010 3:30 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Last Login: Today @ 7:03 AM
stevefromOZ (4/18/2010)
Off topic -

Hey Jeff, head to Australia where they're contemplating $20 (!!!) a packet, am sure this could influence your behaviour ;)

Heh... it sure would. I'd build a quarter acre greenhouse and grow my own as an "insecticide".

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Post #905612
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase «««23456»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse