Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««123»»

Trusting Online Expand / Collapse
Author

SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Today @ 2:50 PM
Trust! Trust, but Verify! This was a signature phrase of Ronald Reagan. Even if you fully trust someone it is extremely wise to run the tests yourself.

While the Trustee may have given you a procedure that is great for the common masses - He or She does not have all the facts and variables of your situation so it may not work for you.

Joe

Post #741994
Posted Thursday, June 25, 2009 10:48 AM

SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Monday, June 24, 2013 11:26 AM
So... what're you sayin', Steve? You don't trust me?
Post #742001
Posted Thursday, June 25, 2009 10:59 AM
Right there with Babe

Right there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with Babe

Last Login: Thursday, April 10, 2014 11:06 AM
Lynn Pettis (6/25/2009)

I have to disagree. I think "trust " is the correct word. You "trust" a doctor to provide you with proper medical career, but would you "trust" him with your favorite sports car, checkbook, or to rebuild your desktop PC?

Trust comes in many forms.

I agree. Trust is not binary. It's a highly fluid calculation tht we make using mental machinery not even accessible to our conscious mind. Trust/distrust mechanisms are far older than our species and are highly nuanced.

And yes, trust online involves many of the same mechanisms short of body language that are used in our web of trusts in the 'real' world. You tend to trust people whose thinking you can understand, who've dealt well with your in the past, who've dealt well with others that we trust. It's all a mental calculus, that while refined by experience, is significantly instinctive.

Without this subtle skill society could not function. So much resources (mental and physical) would be consumed by protection of self and assets that cooperation would be impossible.

No trust is immune to being misplaced, and the close trusts violated are far more emotionally devastating than trusts that are more at arms length (violation of trust by spouse vs by a hired contractor, for example)

-- FORTRAN manual for Xerox Computers --
Post #742014
Posted Thursday, June 25, 2009 11:51 AM

SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Last Login: Wednesday, April 09, 2014 12:22 PM
Double-checking a solution suggested by the more seasoned gurus on this or other sites is perfectly fine. If I run it on my own desktop, and it doesn't work, either there was a typo or error in remembering all of a table's or view's columns (for example, can you all name, off the top of your heads, what all the columns are when selecting from sys.dm_db_index_physical_stats(...)?). As long as the logic and spirit of the solution is sound, you can still be confident in that person's abilities.

People being people, however, a bona fide mistake, an error in the logic, will eventually occur. Give the person the same professional feedback as they gave you and they should be grown up enough to say, "Oh! How did I miss that? Thank you."

I can only imagine the discussions that Paul and his wife, Kimberly Tripp, have when they catch each other's mistakes, rare as they may be. Eventually will want to make it to a SQL conference and see them both present the same subject. I've heard they're quite spirited.

Gaby
Post #742073
Posted Thursday, June 25, 2009 12:16 PM

SSC-Forever

SSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-Forever

Last Login: Today @ 1:57 PM
Gaby Abed (6/25/2009)
I can only imagine the discussions that Paul and his wife, Kimberly Tripp, have when they catch each other's mistakes, rare as they may be. Eventually will want to make it to a SQL conference and see them both present the same subject. I've heard they're quite spirited.

It's ... an experience. Almost like it's a cross between a presentation and a comedy.

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008, MVP
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Post #742093
Posted Thursday, June 25, 2009 12:24 PM

SSC-Insane

SSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-Insane

Last Login: Today @ 8:04 PM
GilaMonster (6/25/2009)
Gaby Abed (6/25/2009)

It's ... an experience. Almost like it's a cross between a presentation and a comedy.

I take it that saying they may have "a difference of opinion" on various subjects is putting it mildly??

Lynn Pettis

For better assistance in answering your questions, click here
For tips to get better help with Performance Problems, click here
For Running Totals and its variations, click here or when working with partitioned tables
For more about Tally Tables, click here
For more about Cross Tabs and Pivots, click here and here
Managing Transaction Logs

SQL Musings from the Desert Fountain Valley SQL (My Mirror Blog)
Post #742102
Posted Thursday, June 25, 2009 12:36 PM

SSC-Forever

SSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-Forever

Last Login: Today @ 1:57 PM
Lynn Pettis (6/25/2009)
GilaMonster (6/25/2009)
Gaby Abed (6/25/2009)

I take it that saying they may have "a difference of opinion" on various subjects is putting it mildly??

No, not really. More that they're perfectly at ease teasing each other on stage, while presenting

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008, MVP
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Post #742110
Posted Thursday, June 25, 2009 2:33 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Today @ 4:29 PM
David Reed (6/25/2009)

Sure, far as I can throw you, which come to think about it, might be a good distance!

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #742189
Posted Thursday, June 25, 2009 2:49 PM

SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Monday, June 24, 2013 11:26 AM
Steve Jones - Editor (6/25/2009)
David Reed (6/25/2009)

Sure, far as I can throw you, which come to think about it, might be a good distance!

Geez, I haven't lost that much weight. Bring your sparring pads the next time you're on campus, sensei. We could even sell tickets for charity!
Post #742203
Posted Thursday, June 25, 2009 5:04 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Today @ 4:29 PM
Ha!, you spar for real. I'm just an old geezer going through the motions.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #742286
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««123»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse